Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pondscum

The Lowest of the Low
Yup. It's true. Another furlough at Gemini. Just when they tell you it's getting better, they change their minds.

Two DC-10's will be parked, and there will be 31 First Officers (DC-10 & MD-11) and 19 Flight Engineers getting laid off. At least this time they "say" they will furlough in strict seniority (unlike the previous furlough).

Initial telephone call notifications are happening already, followed up by the official letter in the mail.

And I was in such a good mood!

At least this time they "say" they will furlough in strict seniority (unlike the previous furlough).

How can they not furlough based on seniority? I thought that was pretty much the universal practice ..

FearlessFreep:

I appreciate the info, but for some reason, it's been very difficult for Gemini guys to get hired at World. The furough last year was my first attempt at going there, and I was unable to get any response. I also heard the same thing from another Gemini FO and at least one FE. This time around however, I'm luckier than most of the other Gemini furloughees-to-be since I pretty much have another job -- just need that almighty class date. Again, thanks for the info.

YaMama:

OtterFO speaks the truth. Gemini is currently represented by ALPA, but we don't have a contract yet. Although our Company operations manual says that a furlough will be done in seniority order, they had no reason to abide by their own rules. During the last furlough, the Company only furloughed those FO's and FE's that they wanted to (only FO's from the DC-10 and select FE's). There were some personal vendettas from what I understand. Now that ALPA is on the property, the Company has "said" that they will follow strict seniority. We'll see what happens in the following months.

The DHL stuff is being flown by the MD-11's and they are considered the golden children right now. That contract is one that Gemini will do what it can to protect it.

There supposedly won't be any degradation (wow that's a big one for me) to any of the existing contracts. In fact, all four of the MD-11's are flying their tail feathers off. There is even a rumor of trying to pick up a couple more!

The Company says that the DC-10's are getting more and more difficult to market and Gemini won't do what other DC-10 ACMI guys do and underprice them just to keep them flying.

In my simple mind, all this is a good indication that Gemini is living life very close to the edge. This furlough is probably a blessing in disguise.

Pond Scum,

Trying to get a hold of a friend. Chris Ramputh.
Can you PM and let me knowif he is going to be alright.

Thanks,

AA

Latest resources

Back