Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
Just walked through the Des Moines terminal today where there was a big poster announcing Direct to Las Vegas on Northwest. What's going on?

Inconceivable said:
"direct" does not mean "non-stop"

I thought that is exactly what it meant.

I think that NW is trying to compete with Allegiant. They did the same thing with Fargo and even Flint, I think.

What I don't understand is how they are doing this. They have bases in Memphis, Minneapolis, and Detroit. Are they opening a mini-hub in Vegas, or making a triangle route? Also, is it on mainline or through the CRJs?

In my own little world, this is good news, because now I can jumpseat direct to Las Vegas.

I am fairly new to the industry (less than 3 years) but its been my perception that NW is very territorial. More so than any other airline. thats why they still own 80% of their market in each of their hubs (msp, dtw, and mem). They moved into MKE because of MidEx and Indianapolis when ATA started showing blood. The also operated a LAN-DCA to compete with FlyI. So my guess is they dont wnat allegiant coming in and taking any of their marketshare.

blackbox said:
I am fairly new to the industry (less than 3 years) but its been my perception that NW is very territorial. More so than any other airline. thats why they still own 80% of their market in each of their hubs (msp, dtw, and mem). They moved into MKE because of MidEx and Indianapolis when ATA started showing blood. The also operated a LAN-DCA to compete with FlyI. So my guess is they dont wnat allegiant coming in and taking any of their marketshare.

we have a winner.

Too bad Midwest and Skyway kicked Northwest's a** when they added all of those flights to compete directly with them. The only flights they do now out of MKE is to the hubs and LAX/LAS. I wouldn't be suprised to see the LAS and LAX flights to go away soon either. I realize the whole bankrupcy thing played a big role in it but Midwest still handed it to them. MKE is very loyal to Midwest.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back