Northwest poised for big Embraer 175 order: source

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Schwanker

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/09/19/Navigation/177/209102/Northwest+poised+for+big+Embraer+175+order+source.html

Northwest poised for big Embraer 175 order: source

Northwest Airlines is to order Embraer 175 twinjets for its planned feeder unit Compass Airlines, according to a source close to the deal.
The US major in March revealed it was in talks with Bombardier and Embraer for a fleet of 36 aircraft, with both a 76-seat two-class CRJ900 or 75-seat two-class E-175 under consideration.
That plan said an order would be placed in April, with deliveries starting in March 2007. However last week Northwest said it has no specific date for Compass’ inauguration.
Neither Embraer nor Northwest will comment on the forthcoming order.
The source could offer no further details.
Compass, which was granted a tentative air operator’s certificate by the US DOT on September 11, will initially be used to replace capacity lost under Northwest’s revision of its contract with Mesaba Aviation, Northwest said in its March regulatory filing.
This will be the second E-175 order by a US carrier following Republic Airlines, which in July placed an order for 30 of the type. Republic’s deliveries are scheduled to begin next year.
Embraer yesterday revealed that the US FAA on August 31 granted type certification to the E-175, a move required before the Brazilian manufacturer can start delivering the aircraft to US carriers.

"That plan said an order would be placed in April, with deliveries starting in March 2007."

Uh, hmmm.

TWA Dude said:
"That plan said an order would be placed in April, with deliveries starting in March 2007."

Uh, hmmm.

yeah that what I said when I read that. - guess they have some kind of time machine or something.

StopNTSing said:
Who's the source....lowecur? :rolleyes:
YES!

The 175 is the perfect plane for SWA. It's too bad it will take 2 yrs or more for a new TA that will include industry 100 seat rates. By that time most of the production slots will be filled till 2010. But don't worry, Boeing is slated to make a decision shortly on production of a 100 seater. If they put it on the fast track, you may have it by 2011.

:pimp:

lowecur said:
YES!

The 175 is the perfect plane for SWA. It's too bad it will take 2 yrs or more for a new TA that will include industry 100 seat rates. By that time most of the production slots will be filled till 2010. But don't worry, Boeing is slated to make a decision shortly on production of a 100 seater. If they put it on the fast track, you may have it by 2011.

I know you jest but, to add some realism here, if SWA carries pax on a 100 seater I would expect it to be codeshare like the ATA service. Unlike what the ATA international service may become, domestic codeshare is likely to stay codeshare forever.

I can imagine Virgin USA finally getting going, buying 100 seaters as well as 320's and codesharing with SWA. But that is only one possibility. Might ATA decide to do limited 100 seat service? I don't know. They did talk about getting 717s in the past. The company and the union would negotiate on how much feed would be o.k.

If you are serious I question your understanding of how pilots/unions/management interact with these TA thingamabobs. There is no way a 100 seater is anywhere close to being considered by SWA.

Highest paid pilots going to smaller airplanes?? That would be a recipe for disaster.

..Unless big pay cuts for flying it where on the table. That would be a terrific magic trick as pay does not come down unless bad times are here and impossible to ignore.

That is definitely not the case at the Mighty SWA.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
I know you jest but, to add some realism here, if SWA carries pax on a 100 seater I would expect it to be codeshare like the ATA service. Unlike what the ATA international service may become, domestic codeshare is likely to stay codeshare forever.
Sounds interesting. The problem lies in what kind of expansion the pilots for SWA would allow. Afterall, once you let the horse out of the barn then it's only a matter of time before the rest of the herd is on the loose. There would obviously be limitations placed, but that would lead to further complications when the 737 expansion hits the wall.

No, I believe the 100 seat rate for in house will be brought into the negotiations as the stalemate goes into it's 2nd year. As the case with all senior pilots, they will save their rate structure at the expense of new hires on the 100 seater.

Why would Southwest want the brazilian bomber when they've seen just how efficient & productive it is at Jetblue?

Answer - they don't.

And I thought NWA had already announced Compass would be flying IAD-MSP starting in October with an ex-Mesaba CRJ...

UPS does it the right way. One payscale for ALL aircraft, which saves the company a bundle in training costs.

Having said that, why have we so impolitely hijacked this thread about NORTHWEST?

And I thought NWA had already announced Compass would be flying IAD-MSP starting in October with an ex-Mesaba CRJ...

Correct, to keep the certificate alive until the airplane of choice arrives.

Incidentally, I wouldn't get too caught up in what no. makes a "big" order. It could be 36 planes, probably not more.

Latest resources

Back