• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V-STALL

The Resourcer!
Northwest plane bumps into Horizon plane at PDX

[size=-1]03:55 PM PDT on Monday, August 29, 2005[/size]

[size=-1]By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff[/size]

Two planes bumped into each other at Portland International Airport on Monday, PDX officials said.

L_IMAGE.105fcd830c3.93.88.fa.7c.798d8b7.jpg
Sky-8

An aerial view of the Horizon plane that was bumped at PDX.

No passengers were injured and preliminary reports indicated the planes received minor damage.

The pilot of a Horizon plane was waiting for instructions to pull the aircraft into its parking place when a Northwest aircraft taxiing from the gate at PDX to the runway clipped the Horizon tail about 2:20 p.m., according to airline officials.

There's a standby aircraft that can fly in place of the Horizon plane, if need be.

There were 19 passengers and three crew members aboard Horizon flight No. 2066.

Northwest officials said the wing of the Northwest plane with 233 passengers and a crew of 13 aboard made contact with the tail of the Horizon jet. The Northwest plane was taxiing for take-off to Tokyo Narita Airport.

Both planes were undergoing inspection.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Online at: http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_082905_news_plane_collision_.78ef685.html[/font]

Yep. Must be the fault of the AMFA strike. Big news. Make sure we get it on right away.

By the way, last week at SEA a United aircraft was pushed back into a parked Alaska 737 with both aircraft suffering some damage. I notice that didn't make the news or flightinfo. Of course, no strike is currently ongoing at either of those carriers, so therefore, it was not deemed newsworthy.

Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Yank McCobb said:
Yep. Must be the fault of the AMFA strike. Big news. Make sure we get it on right away.

By the way, last week at SEA a United aircraft was pushed back into a parked Alaska 737 with both aircraft suffering some damage. I notice that didn't make the news or flightinfo. Of course, no strike is currently ongoing at either of those carriers, so therefore, it was not deemed newsworthy.

I didn't even think of the strike as I read that story until I got to your post. And I'm pretty sure that had someone here at flightinfo seen the story from last week out of SEA that it would have been posted. Just out of curiosity, if something happenes and it isn't in a news story, and no one that posts here was present at the event, how are we supposed to know that it happened? And if that did happen at SEA, and you knew about it, why didn't you post the story when it happened?

Yank McCobb said:

I hear ya, the NTSB pages are filled with this stuff...all the sudden it's front page print. The hysteria...

Ummm I didn't think something had to be front-page news to be posted here. If that was true, I'd just read the front page rather than coming here.

There were some good pics of the Q200 tail on the company website. That A330 winglet really mangled the snot out of it's tail! Interestingly enough, the winglet appeared to sustain very little damage. Take that, airbus bashers!

NW did the same thing a few months back in MHT. They tried to taxi an Airbus past an Independence RJ and the wing hit bthe tail, very little damage to the Airbus. Maybe it is hard to judge the wingtip on the Capts side.

Or Maybe.......

737tanker said:
NW did the same thing a few months back in MHT. They tried to taxi an Airbus past an Independence RJ and the wing hit bthe tail, very little damage to the Airbus. Maybe it is hard to judge the wingtip on the Capts side.

Or maybe this is just a double secret, covert, undercover, non-disclosable plan that NWA has put togther to take out thier competition's feeders???? Maybe that is a "hardend" battery ram winglet made just for this purpose. You know, the gross weight rule is always in effect.

dispatcher121 said:
The DH8B Captain was holding for further instruction from "ground" when the NWA A330 N855NW taxi'd by after receiving approval from "ground" that is was clear to taxi.

Actually, he told me he had been waiting about 10 minutes for rampers, holding just outside the vehicle access road on the lead-in line.....nothing new these days. Northwest was told by ground that "they should be able to make it" or something to that effect.

Full of LUV said:
Or maybe this is just a double secret, covert, undercover, non-disclosable plan that NWA has put togther to take out thier competition's feeders???? Maybe that is a "hardend" battery ram winglet made just for this purpose. You know, the gross weight rule is always in effect.

Very funny:) Unfortunately, Horizon is Northwest's feeder at PDX!

Latest resources

Back