• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest New Livery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airpiraterob beat me to it, but I also find it strange that in these rough times, airlines are deciding to change their image and then put out big bucks to repaint their fleets. I'm not sure what it costs to paint an aircraft, but I'm sure it's much more than the salaries that would have been paid to the furloughed guys...:rolleyes:

I do like the scheme though.

New paint jobs are always nice, especially when it gets rid of the "bowling shoe" look of NWA. (No flame please, I have many friends at NWA and it's nothing personal...just an observation).

However, I'd hate to see any company that is facing serious financial troubles thinking exterior appearances will change a darn thing. You could paint an airline purple with pink pokadots and if they provide outstanding service, great care of their customers, etc., they'll succeed. Take that same plane though, and you can still run the company into red ink. Paint jobs, IMHO, mean nothing but a pretty exterior appearance. When I have to buy an airline ticket, I don't check out who looks the best on the ramp! I doubt passengers fly SWA because they prefer blue and orange planes (or Shamu). They fly because costs are reasonable and the service is great!

2000Flyer

Overall it looks like a very clean paint scheme, if a tad boring like most 'Euro-white' airline schemes these days. I kinda like the old days when airliners actually had a cheatline running the length of the fuselage, or maybe some color on the rear fuselage running up towards the tail (similar to the new UPS scheme, I like that one). But the dorkiest part of the Northwest scheme is the huge NWA letters on the side. You can barely see the 'Northwest Airlines' title under the huge NWA letters. I'd think it might cause some passenger confusion, since they would probably refer to the airline as Northwest, not NWA. I can't imagine Delta, Continental, or Southwest painting huge DAL, CAL, or SWA letters on the fuselage, for example. But then again, I'm just a pilot...I don't know squat about marketing or image branding.

Airpiraterob beat me to it, but I also find it strange that in these rough times, airlines are deciding to change their image and then put out big bucks to repaint their fleets. I'm not sure what it costs to paint an aircraft, but I'm sure it's much more than the salaries that would have been paid to the furloughed guys...

I do like the scheme though.

Changing the paint on Northwest's fleet is going to save the airline money. When you have a painted aluminum tube that is subjected to unnaturally high levels of erosion (high airspeeds) and solar/cosmic radiation (high altitude) the paint is not going to last forever. Currently NW is repainting their aircraft every 5-6 years. They have said that they are not going to accelerate the painting process to get the new look online faster so ever every plane that would have been repainted in the old colors will get repainted in the new colors. They plan to have the entire fleet painted by 2009. The new paint job is cheaper to apply because of fewer colors, lighter weight and more UV resistant because of the ground up aluminum in the gray paint, and a new 'special' clear coat is supposed to increase paint life up to 20%.

Even though this new paint will save them a bunch of money I still think it looks like A$$. I showed the picture to a friend of mine (someone I consider to be an average American) and he had to ask me who NWA was. The compass pointer on the right side of the aircraft pointing to the Northeast is also extremely tacky.

Flic1 and Airpiratebob and 2000flyer definetly have a point. Why spend money in these hard times for more durable paint and a new look?

They were overdue for a change though.

The compass pointer on the right side of the aircraft pointing to the Northeast is also extremely tacky.

DoinTime....Good Eyes Man!

2000Flyer

NorthWests New Logo

Ha ha ha...Isn't NWA the name of that late 80's/early 90's rap group??? You know, the one with Dr. Dre, Easy E, and Ice Cube??

Last edited:
I think NWA might regret this one later. The recognition factor has gone, something very important for a carrier operating in overseas markets. Britisch Airways had the same problem a few years back when they came out with the art work on the tails and the nike-stripe on the front. now they are going back to almost what it was before.
I also think it might be hard to see this thing in hazy conditions.

boeingavtr,

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think its wise to fly around with NWA on your plane. But then again they do hub Detriot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back