Northwest Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoa. Now that's a shot across the bow.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Northwest Airlines Corp. (NasdaqNM:NWAC - News) has proposed firing 2,031, or nearly half of its mechanics, in a bid to save $176 million a year, their union said in a document posted in its Web site on Monday.

The Eagan, Minnesota-based airline also is asking the 2,381 mechanics who would remain to take a cut in their base pay of about 26 percent, the union said.

Its a proposal that can't be passed, no matter who would want it to. Half of the guys would lose their jobs, so of course they'll vote no.

Also, how do you counter an offer like that?

Please or please only fire 35% of our workforce, not 50%.

or, Please I only want a 15% pay cut not a 27%.

That doesn't even touch the 20 other items in the proposal, losing half the sick time, losing half the vacation, losing 4 personal holidays, losing premium pay, losing uniform expenses, etc. etc.

I'm glad my job doesn't depend on that proposal;

oh wait, it does. http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon32.gif

Can the company just fire half of them without being in BK court? I have no idea what the union's contract says, but I can't imagine it would let them just cut half and then outsource and like above I can't imagine any union would accept an offer like that.

mynameisjim said:
Half of the guys would lose their jobs, so of course they'll vote no.

Less than half lose their jobs. More than half keep them, under the threat of losing them as well. Company will say you can either vote to keep your job at 3/4 pay, or you can lose you job along with the guy sitting next to you. Take your choice. This is the unvarnished version of what is going on at every level of every company in this industry, except in top management. NWA has chosen not to pretty it up for propaganda purposes. They're already advertising for replacements to cross the line in the strike. Tough business.

densoo said:
NWA has chosen not to pretty it up for propaganda purposes. They're already advertising for replacements to cross the line in the strike. Tough business.

Just remember, those that cross the line are as spine-less as the fu(ks that come up with this garbage.

What people will do to save their weekend Aspen homes.

I guess it wasnt such a good idea to negotiate a 38 % farm out factor... I understand they are up to 37 %.

I wonder what this strike is gonna cost both sides ?

Steenland has publicly stated that the cost of the '98 pilot strike was "money well spent". The cost does'nt seem to matter to the company.

Latest resources

Back