Northwest Airlines hopes smaller planes will mean bigger savings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JTF:

I think the limit is 255 large (ahem) RJ's. To put this in perspective this is three fourth's the size of Northwest Airline's ENTIRE fleet. (255/348=73%) http://ir.nwa.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=111021&p=irol-fleet

The prior contracts were negotiated at the steps of the bankruptcy court and were highly concessionary. What the JPWA did is codify those concessionary agreements and facilitate their completion.

IMHO we had a great opportunity to return that flying to mainline before it even left the barn and we failed to even ask the question. We still have an opportunity via the SLI, but again, there is no indication we are even asking the question.

Although the NEW DELTA(Delta+NWA) has apprx. 800 mainline AC.

:smash:
Monday, August 18, 2008

Officials at Delta Air Lines, which plans to merge with Northwest by the end of this year should the deal receive approval from federal regulators, said the new dual-class regional jets have been good for its business, as well.

Northwest CEO Doug Steenland told investors recently that the smaller jets will help the airline navigate today's turbulent financial environment.

This reporter seems to be getting his info as he states above...is he lying?

We are parking quite a few 50 seaters too. LAX will lose all of the DAL Expressjet 50 seaters Sep 1st. Anderson said 100 or so 50 seaters would be parked this year alone. They could be replaced by some 76 seaters, but not all of them. That is good.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Cap .. :laugh: , :puke:

As the Reps and the choir sing, "We'll get them next time."

For a guy who is so good at reading documentation why do you skip over the scope language thats in place now? I agree with you that it should be better but it IS in place. Why do you always pretend there isnt a cap?

We are parking quite a few 50 seaters too. LAX will lose all of the DAL Expressjet 50 seaters Sep 1st. Anderson said 100 or so 50 seaters would be parked this year alone. They could be replaced by some 76 seaters, but not all of them. That is good.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Exactly. There's a RA quote from last week that says the same thing. Quote is hanging on the "wailing wall" in DTW. He also stated the DC-9-40 and -50 will be around until at least 2012(depending on oil).

Also:

https://www.ajc.com/business/conten...8/09/deltafleethedline.html?cxntlid=inform_sr

Last edited:
For a guy who is so good at reading documentation why do you skip over the scope language thats in place now? I agree with you that it should be better but it IS in place. Why do you always pretend there isnt a cap?
Super, I acknowledge there is a cap, but it is not much of a restriction. Delta ordered 10 billion dollars worth (500) RJ's and every time the orders got near the "cap" the restriction was moved until it got where it is now. Our JPWA made permanent the concessionary scope our predecessors negotiated in the bankruptcy Court.

As Doug Steenland, Fred Reid and Leo Mullin all said, scope hasn't been a restriction on their ability to outsource narrow body domestic flying. My own Rep says scope is not important and does not work. As long as they make these kind of statements people like you and I have work to do - to try and get the majority of people involved and to try to get them to voice their opinions.

You and I agree that the right solution is to get this flying back by stapling it on the mainline list. One difference is that I've been writing and trying to inform people here on the subject for ten years now.

The current divide in our union that chips away at our jobs is a cancer. As many times as I have sworn to just let it go, it is too central to our profession and our union to just forget about.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I support my Reps and union. We just need more folks like you that tell their Reps that scope is important.

Last edited:
Super, I acknowledge there is a cap, but it is not much of a restriction. Delta ordered 10 billion dollars worth (500) RJ's and every time the orders got near the "cap" the restriction was moved until it got where it is now. Our JPWA made permament the concessionary scope our predecessors negotiated in the bankruptcy Court.

As Doug Steenland, Fred Reid and Leo Mullin all said, scope hasn't been a restriction on their ability to outsource narrowbody domestic flying. My own Rep (who I fully support in negotiations) tells me that "scope doesn't work" and "isn't really important."

You and I agree that the right solution is to get this flying back by stapling it on the mainline list. One difference is that I've been writing and trying to inform people here on the subject for ten years now.

Not really a difference because i have been doing the same thing, just not for 10 years ;)

Latest resources

Back