• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northern States Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Am I correct in assuming that you're in hotels the whole time, and if you are, does the company pay for the hotels?

when i was getting information from them, I was under the impression you figure out places to stay but when you are away from domicile you get a per diem of $100 per day.

You do get $100/day when away from base. Plus, if you don't spend $100 a day, you get to keep the rest, which adds to the pay you already get, which is better then the other companies(that work for pictometry). You also get paid a straight salary and it's pretty good money for flying a 172 all over the country. It can be a hard life, considering you are on the road 100% of the time, with the only days off, being bad weather days. But the owner is great. Can be kind of picky, but with as much going on as there is, its a good thing. He's a great boss. He actually cares about his pilots. He does his best to make your experience a good one.

I worked for NSA for over a year. It was one of the most challenging and
exciting times of my life. Try flying a localizer at the outer marker, +/- 100 ft, no more the 5 degree's of bank and 10 degree's pitch change all at less then 85 knots... for 7 hours a day... it makes you a darn good stick pilot.

The picture of the planes in New Orleans was taken Feb/March of 2004. We were doing 2 parrish's down there and thought it would be a great photo opportunity... :) They are based out of the Rochester area in NY. The boss used to work at pictometry, but hasn't worked there since fall of 2004. He left to start NSA. It is a great time builder. And you get to see so much of the country in such a cool way, its great!

Maintenence is top notch. He's very thorough and strict about oil changes, any and all problems, and any concerns the pilot has about the plane. I was impressed. I've had a few jobs at smaller companies in aviation, and NSA has the best mx program by far. Feel free to contact me with any more questions. Good luck and enjoy.

Great way to build your time if you don't want to be a CFI. Got to my 135 mins at NSA in less than a year. Excellent pay for driving a 172 around if you can stand being on the road constantly.

Some of the people you work with can be a little crazy though, like there was this one girl ... wow, what a nut job.

Riiiiight.....

Trogdor said:
Great way to build your time if you don't want to be a CFI. Got to my 135 mins at NSA in less than a year. Excellent pay for driving a 172 around if you can stand being on the road constantly.

Some of the people you work with can be a little crazy though, like there was this one girl ... wow, what a nut job.

Yea, you should talk... do i need to start telling stories??? I've got a few!

Wondering...

So if you're based in Rochester do you need to get an apartment there? Or are you on the road THAT often?

Latest resources

Back