• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

North American Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The trips average from day trips to 11 days. It hard to say how long to stay on reserve, sometimes the reserve line go pretty senior. Keep in mind it is a charter airline, most flying is not known at the time of the bid. But most reserve line are 24 hr. callout.

Been hearing mostly bad about them (from an internal source). Also, that they are not hiring experienced guys with time and/or ratings on the 757/767.
How does 100 sectors IOE grab you?
Strange folks....

Any idea what typical mins are for guys who have been interviewed/hired lately?

North American

Does anyone know if North American is still actively interviewing? If so, how many more do they plan to hire this year? Any idea of what kind of backgrounds recent newhires have had. I've been trying to get an interview for a while but no luck. Thanks to anyone who may have some info!

bigboeings said:
Im not sure what you mean about the IOE.

Allow me to explain.
IOE = Initial Operating Experience (American term) meaning the supervised line training which a new hire has to do on a new airplane. Usually culminating in a line check by a check airman whereupon the individual is relaesed to the line and considered "Fully qualified" (though not experienced)

Line Training (British term) meaning the exact same as above.

Depending on the company and your experience level a minimum number of sectors(segments/trips) are required before a person can be signed off for a final line check. It would be specified under the airline's Ops Specs and/or Flight Crew Training Manual (FCTM).
It is not unusual to have up to 20 sectors before you qualify. 100 is extremely high and is indicative of a problem either with the training syllabus or the trainee or both......not to mention COSTS!!!!!
Hope that answers your question!

psw757 said:
Does anyone know if North American is still actively interviewing? If so, how many more do they plan to hire this year? Any idea of what kind of backgrounds recent newhires have had. I've been trying to get an interview for a while but no luck. Thanks to anyone who may have some info!

See your PM!!!

Yes we are actively interviewing. Have been told 165 pilots to be here to man the current a/c (5- B757's, and 3 B767's), and the 2 more B-767's that are coming( one in March '06, and 1 in Dec "06). I have also heard that the company wants 200 pilots total by the end of the year. World holdings has said in print that they want to add 10 aircraft total between World airways and North American this year, so maybe that is where that number is coming from.
It is not perfect, but I am waiting to see what the contract we are fighting for says before I make a jump.
As far as qualifications, mostly regional guys right now, a lot from colgan on the Saab.
The COO(who was put in that position by our owner who was bought out by World) just left at the end of Februrary. The Coo and ex-owner hated unions and were doing everything they could to stall the contract. Now I am not saying the new guy is better, but it couldn't get much worse than that pair of losers.
Good luck, it is not a bad place to hang your hat for awhile, or maybe make a career out of it, depending on where you are coming from.
Coastinout

Last edited:
Also, we have 140 pilots on the seniority list as of the end of February. And yes we have had 45 pilots leave in the last almost 2 years. A lot of that was because of the ex-owner and his COO. Hopefully things will improve, but my resume is ready to go at a moments notice if necessary.
Coastinout

Latest resources

Back