North American Airlines.. JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJPilott

anyone with info, company morale, the general dirt on NAA? also the positives? anything would be appreciated, thanks!

Dont have much for you. I have talked with quite a few of their employees and have ridden on them several times--seem like a pretty happy bunch but thats just my impression! They seem to mostly do AMC charters.

North American has been in business since '89 and has only had one quarter where they didn't make a profit. It's a pretty stable airline.
They do scheduled runs, charters, Club Med, military, and anything else that you could think of. They are currently experiencing some expansion out in Oakland, Ca with routes to Puerto Villarta, Cancun, and Denver, althought they are also talking about more growth out of that base (possibly to Hawaii).
I think there's four 757s and two 767s on the way with an option for an additional 767.
Pay starts at 55.35 an hour with a 67 hour guarantee. After 67 hours, it's time and a half.
If you sit as an IRP, add an additional 10 and change on top of that.
The people here are absolutely great. The big factors you have to consider about NA are these... No pension and some extremely long hours. Otherwise, there's great equipment, decent pay, good people, and some really great flying.
Hope this answers your question.

I wish I learned that they had no pension plan before I fired off an application this morning.

What's up with that?

I guess I'll apply with ATA. 5k other applicants can't be wrong.

What's the number to Truck Masters again?

The interview process is very painless (except for the medical, that was painful).
I sent this to the willflyforfood site, but they didn't seem to print it, so here it is again.
You start off talking to Joan Kraft (HR). She basically goes over your application with you and comes up with questions.
Then you go off to your first pilot board interview. This consists of three pilots (including Paul Miller, the VP of Ops). The questions they ask you are situational, much like the jetBlue interview. The general attitude they have is that they already know that you can fly, so they just want to see if they can stand sitting with you on some very long flights. Questions such as, "Did you ever fly with somebody that you didn't get along with and what did you do?".
The interview after that is the technical interview with another three pilots (one is Dean Moxness, Chief pilot). The only real technical question that they asked was to brief an approach plate. No tricks, just a straightforward brief. In general, there's nothing tough and no tricks. They also want to know you as a person.
Everybody that you meet during the interview is really laid back.
Although I didn't get any questions on the Saab, I heard that there are alot of guys there who flew it and know it very well.
If everybody likes you, you will get called back for a final interview with Dan McKinnon, the president of the company. He basically interviews everybody who comes to the company. Dan will ask you to tell your life story. Really.
If Dan likes you, then you get sent to medical at JFK. This is where the pain comes. At this point, you have the job, but there's a pretty thorough medical exam. Thank God there wasn't a prostate exam! You have to give blood and get vaccinated for yellow fever and tetanus (is that spelled right?).
No written exams or sim rides.
Reserve callout is four hours and there are no airport readies.
I think I covered everything, but if I forgot something, feel free to ask.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, future plans.
This is what I heard from various people in management, so it's not necessarily rumors, but they might as well be as they might not happen either.
The big growth plans are for the Oakland base. They have a contract with Sun Vacations. If all goes well, there's talk of exercising an option for an extra 767-300 ER, bringing the total to 3. My previous post describes what's going on there.
There's also talk of a BOS base, but that's not really solid. The BOS base would do resort flying on the weekends.
This is a very conservative company, so this is considered an aggressive growth stage.
There's also supposed to be plenty of retirements in the next three years, but don't ask me the numbers.
4 757 200s.
2 767 300 ERs.
Option for an additional 767 300 ER.
2 737 800s retiring.

Last edited:
Thank ACWild for taking the time to respond with all that info. Sounds like it's awful hard to get an interview with all the resumes they must get vs. only a few openings. I sent my stuff to them yesterday. I don't know if I will hear from them. I like the fact of being within 4 hours of JFK. I wouldn't have to move.

No problem Jack. Glad I could help.
As far as lots of resumes goes, I don't know if they really get that many. Nobody seems to have heard of them. It helps a great deal if you can get a personal reference, so if you know anybody there, make sure you ask.
I've been told that the four hour callouts are rare. Reserves usually know days in advance of their assignments. Still, it sure is nice to have so long of a callout.

ACWild,

Thanks again. Yeah, I agree with the long callout. I had a similar situation at an outfit I flew for a couple of years ago and it was basically an eight hour response time. That since has changed though. Don't know anyone at NAA but I'm hoping for the best. By the way, I changed my username. Take it easy.

Jack

Latest resources

Back