non us citizens and flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

axl

Under the new forreign terrorist tracking taskforce federal law prevents non us citizen from being trained in an airplane over MTOW of 12,500 IBS or more. There is a way around this if you are current and qualified as a PIC SIC or FE in an A/C over 12,500 IBS. Then you can expediously completed a 48 hrs background check and threafter hopefully be good to go.
It seems like airlines are taking this new rule very differently. I know of several guys hired on by different airlines and this issue has never even been brought up. On the other hand I have good friend of mine that has been waiting since June and he is still not eligible to start his training. Does this rule not apply in the same way to all carriers or does some simple ignore them or do they not know ???
Anyone has any more information. ?????

there is always a way.

Axl.
I don't know if you are a foreigner yourself, or just want to give a hand to your buddy. Anyway, a pilot can take care of this problem him/herself. There is a web site, plus a contact person at the DOJ. All that needs to be done is to get registered through te web site. I don't remember the site (since it has been 7 months since I did it), but I will find out along with the contact person. Bug me about it using a private message if you don't hear from me for a while(which will mean I have forgotten).

Axl,

I have seen similar situation at a regional airline interview. Most regionals don't want to be bothered with the DOJ procedure, therefore would low-ball foreign applicants, make them feel they won't get a job, not because of their interview skills, but because of DOJ. It's total BS, and the airline(s) are close to breaking the law. The reason is ignorance, most HR doesn't know the DOJ procedure, or don't want to be bothered with (since they have 5000+ applicants they can choose from). Call flightsafety, they'll tell you everything you need to know about training in a/c +12000 lbs. Since they're actually the one that applies on your behalf to DOJ. Then let flightsafety deals with the HR, let them know the procedure is. If HR wants to hire you so badly:), they may give you a class date, so that you can get the process rolling, otherwise, hang tight, and get the citizenship quick. From what I know, if you don't hold a type rating before the new law, it's a very very long wait. Even if you hold a type rating before the new law, depends on "currency", you may get lucky and get the fasttrack. "Currency", according to Flightsafety is very blurry, (not 90-day, or 6-month instrument), so better call'em and ask for clarification. Hope that helps.

I heard that foreign pilots, who are seeking type rating in an A/C heavier than 12,500, could go to Jordan or Morocco and get a FAA type rating.
That is all what I heard.

Latest resources

Back