Non-sked 135 and days off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Showtime

If one is flying non-sked 135, are you required to have "hard" days off. ie can turn off the phone, or do the POI accept a day you did not fly as a day off?

days off

This is a difficult one. The regs say you are required to have, I think, 13 days off a quarter. If your operation is going on that, "we didn't call you, so you were off" routine and the POI buys into it, well I'd look for some other place to work. Most POI's however, I think, consider days off as "days off", no pager, etc. You are kind of between the rock and hard place there, though when dealing with the real world and your boss doesn't want to give you days off. Some one else probably has a better answer than me.

Someone on here a while back posted their conversation with someone that went something like this:

"Can I have a beer?"
"no"
"Then it isn't a day off"

or something like that...

Seems like a sensible conversation to have...seriously

-mini

WHAT!!! Hard days off part 135....that doesn't exist....does it? The rules suck when it comes to this...soarby is pretty correct, except that in my experience most poi's see it this way and most 135 companies do as well.....i didnt call you today...so thats is one of those 13 days off...SH!!TY, but thats the way it works out.

there are no days off required if memory serves. you just have to comply with flight time and duty time regs.

Hard Days Off

Hard days off exisit at USA Jet Airlines for DA-20 pilots. 10 days off picked from a bid schedule based upon senority every 28 days. 135 pilots must have 13 duty free days per quarter.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
135 pilots must have 13 duty free days per quarter.
Correct. I worked for a company that didn't subscribe to this. When the Feds checked the books guess who got in trouble? We, the pilots, did. No enforcement just a short lecture. The CP and DO said something like, "You guys need to keep better track of your days off." Uh...OK.

age 60

The age 60 rule only applys to 121 carriers. As far as the 13 days off I have argued and lost this fight with my employer. The regulations are pretty clear on this one that you must have 13days off in any quarter. Opererators just never want to give up the on call pilot. I have no problem saying I'm sorry I have had a beer on the weekend they haven't schelduled me though!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back