NON RVSM procedures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

I just became the proud owner of a mid size turbojet. While we wait for our RVSM LOA, anybody have a experience flying non RVSM reciently> I know once we rnget airborne its up to ATC to clear us into and/or through RVSM 430 and 450 are no problem.

Shoud we file for <280 and beg or can we file for 43 and expect delays... any other thoughts ideas?

I just became the proud owner of a mid size turbojet. While we wait for our RVSM LOA, anybody have a experience flying non RVSM reciently> I know once we rnget airborne its up to ATC to clear us into and/or through RVSM 430 and 450 are no problem.

Shoud we file for <280 and beg or can we file for 43 and expect delays... any other thoughts ideas?

File for 270 or 280 and then request. Have fun flying low, I'll wave to ya. I'm the Falcon traffic at 27/28.

Flight plan (and fuel) for FL280 or below. In sparse airspace, you'll probably be able to climb through to FL430, and you'll get the fuel savings as a reward. But definitely don't plan on it, especially on the east coast.

You file your flight plan for FL430 or FL450 and in the remarks section of the flight plan you need to put "NO RVSM". Then each time you are handed off to a new controller you must check in with the addition of "Negative RVSM". Do that until you are clear of RVSM airspace. But on the way up, do it the entire time, even while under FL290.
Just tell them all the time so if they forget you're not RVSM certified and they put you too close to another aircraft in RVSM airspace, you are totally covered and he will get in trouble, not you. Its a reg that you have to tell each new controller that you are non-RVSM.

I've flown a Lear 25 about 20 times in the past 2 years for a guy who does not have RVSM certification for the aircraft. Not a single time were we handled any differently then when I fly RVSM aircraft. Maybe we got some vectors in a few descents into busy areas but no big deal at all. Also, quite a few times we flew inside RVSM airspace, level, for an hour at a time. As long as separation is there, ATC can let you fly wherever they want without RVSM certification.

Last edited:
In Europe not allowed to climb through RVSM airspace, so just plan you trip at FL 280 or below.
Get the letter !

Coming out of Vegas the other day, I heard a controller asking an aircraft about their RVSM status. They then said they were RVSM FL380 and below (may have been FL390, can't remember) and above FL380 they were Neg RVSM. The controller was thinking , and almost saying :)....WTF !!!

Latest resources

Back