Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ifleyelearz

Proud Techsan
Are there any controllers out there who can tell me exactly how much coordination has to be done with the other ARTCCs in order to let up a DOD non-rvsm guy into RVSM airspace? I know that there still needs to be the 2000' separation.

What info are you looking for ? How to file ??? The DOD has people that handle this, they work it out usually about 24 hours in advance. Flight in RVSM airspace is still based on how much traffic a particular ARTCC is working.

Or... are you asking how it is to actually work and coordinate the flight once it is airborne ??? That is hard to say, all depends on traffic and what particualr individuals are working that day...

We use the "file and fly" method, which usually works out well for us. I am just wanting to know if there is anything we can file in particular that would increase our chances of getting into RVSM. For example, not filing jet routes or filing in the higher 30's to be a little more out of the way for most airline traffic @ the mid 30's. Stuff like that. Or maybe it doesn't matter much?? Just wondering.

If you can't make at least 410, you're in everyones way. Not to say you won't get there. Most of it has to do with the individual working the sectors. If I am working the high stratum and someone requests neg-RVSM, I call the UHi sector and ask if he will work him. It is strictly a judgment call by that controller. Some controllers will never work a neg-RVSM. Some will bust ass to get them higher. Generally, if you can make it to 410 or better yet 430, it shouldn't be a problem unless you land in less than 300 miles.

do you need to have more than one transponder in RVSM airspace? is this a requirment, cant find it anywhere?

ifleyelearz said:
We use the "file and fly" method, which usually works out well for us. I am just wanting to know if there is anything we can file in particular that would increase our chances of getting into RVSM.

"file and fly" will depend on traffic and who is working... the DOD can file in such a way that non RVSM inclusion is strongly advised or something along those lines. I forget exactly how it was worded but when DRVSM went active we were briefed on it. I get the occasional DOD flight that has been pre coordinated by the DOD and FAA for inclusion in RVSM airspace. I'll try and get the details tomorrow and get something back to you.

Latest resources

Back