• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

non published holding patterns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One technique that works for me, use it or not as it might work for you...

First, draw the pattern on your kneeboard the way it would appear on a chart. When controller says "hold East of..." you draw a wind arrow coming FROM THE EAST, i.e. "<-----" and know that the arrowhead is the FIX. Then draw in whatever else you need to define the fix and the holding pattern, i.e. "... the whozit VOR on the 090 radial, 10 mile legs, left turns." (VOR at the fix, draw the racetrack, 090 is the radial, 10dme is the start-the-turn-in point)

Then, having drawn the pattern, draw (or picture) your airplane as it is in relation to that pattern... so if you're east of the VOR flying west, you can see you're lined up on the inbound leg, or if you're west of the fix flying east, you can see how you'll hit the fix & be set up for a teardrop, etc.

For me, I find that a "God's eye view" is a good way to "sanity check" whatever answer I get with the other methods (or often yields the obvious answer itself), and keeps situational awareness up. If you're holding at an "as published" fix, well, the first half is already done since the hold is there in front of you on the approach or enroute chart.

Cheers,

Snoopy

?

Snoopy58 said:
One technique that works for me, use it or not as it might work for you...
I use essentially the same method.

You're approaching the VOR from the northeast. You get the instruction

==============================
Hold southwest of the XYZ VOR on the 220 radial. Left Turns. Maintain 8,000 ft. Expect further clearance at 0000Z

draw_hold.gif

For those for whom it works, it becomes a graphic shorthand to both copy the clearance and visualize the entry,

from an atc standpoint and as someone with about 1500 hours of cross country ifr expierience, most controllers personally aren't going to care how you enter the hold. That airspace is going to be protected for you so whether its a teardrop, a parallel, or direct. usually, with lag on center radar or tracon radar....that piece of sky is yours....

non published holds

My favorite was the controller who had several tries at giving me a holding instruction. After screwing it up a third time he said "I tell you what, I'll just give you vectors in a square for a while until I can clear you for the approach" and so he did... north, east, south, west, north ... etc.....

draw it out on your kneeboard or whatever! its the easiest way and you'll have something to reference to double check before you enter

Holding entries

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
[O]n a checkride you have to show proper entries. I had a student of mine fail a multi-instrument check ride because he liked to do his own hold entries because like he said, "they are not regulatory in nature". He came back with me and we did some remedial and he learned correct holding pattern entries and passed his checkride.
I have a friend who is a current instructor. We talked the week before last, and he told me that the PTS has been changed to allow any kind of holding entry as long as one remains in protected airspace. In other words, you can use an 90/270 instead of a parallel entry, teardrop, or whatever.

Just the same, during training and on a checkride I would use the AIM-recommended holding entries (primarily because they are the ones I know and understand the best, having taught them to a good number of instrument students). Despite what the PTS might say, many examiners are not especially open-minded. They want to see holding entries by the book. So, as long as you do it by the book, there is no room for argument, or pink slips.

Finally, I've had only two real holds. One was to a VOR and it was a straightforward direct entry to a published hold. The other was to a DME fix, with ATC defining the leg length in DME, so no worries about timing. It, too, was a straightforward, direct entry. I realize that two holds does not consititute the entirety of ATC's holding mindset, but my experience and those of others lead me to believe that ATC will try give holding in as straightforward a manner as possible. Flight instructors tend to give more perverted holds, for good reason.

Lrjtcaptain said:
from an atc standpoint and as someone with about 1500 hours of cross country ifr expierience, most controllers personally aren't going to care how you enter the hold.

As long as it's right turns, right? Haha! Man that was some intense flying! Minimums! Go around! No, wait... I see it!! Learned lots and had fun. :)

Personally, I don't do the established parallel entry as written in the AIM. It's much easier to create a teardrop and intercept the inbound a ways out from the fix rather than do a proper parallel entry where you loop around and find yourself right on top of the fix, with a heading different from a normal inbound. Now you've got to deal with the extra turn, the extra time to make that turn, and a fix popping up on you at the most difficult time of a hold. It doesn't make sense. Instead, cross the fix, then make a 30 degree cut from your wind correction to the protected side for the allotted time (1 min with no wind) and then turn your teardrop back towards the inbound course. You intercept a much more steady needle, plus all of the other reasons I mentioned.

It'd be much easier if I could just draw it. I suggest getting some chalk and making a holding pattern on the ground, then walking towards it from different angles. It helped me understand how and why different intercepts were needed and gave me a better understanding of spatial orientation.

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
I had a student of mine fail a multi-instrument check ride because he liked to do his own hold entries
So long as the entries kept him in protected airspace, the Examiner should have been reported to the FSDO for violating FAA policy. It's a recurrent issue, with AFS-600, the Designee branch rep[etedly telling examiners

Another question frequently asked, "Must the pilot examiner test the applicant using the recommended holding pattern entry, or can the applicant use any desired method? In the past, an applicant would have been required to use one of the three recommended procedures; however, a change has occurred.

If an applicant elects to use holding pattern entry procedures other than those recommended by the FAA and, in doing so, remains within the holding pattern airspace to be protected, the procedure would be acceptable if accomplished safely.

AFS-600 Designee Update Vol. 6, No. 2, April 1994

Some more input regarding holds. Nonpublished holding is generally a failure of the ATC system. Things get too saturated and they have to put you in a nonpublished hold. If it's published then the slowdown has been known to happen before but a nonpublished hold means things have really gotten screwed up. Most of my nonpublished holds have been, "hold inbound on your present inboud radial." Otherwise they've always been, "Hold as published," which is on an airway or at the IAF. To figure out the way to enter a hold I use the thumb method or a modified version of it. (Hard to explain without showing you my thumb, sorrry) Back when I was in the CRJ all you did was enter the hold in the FMS and it figured the entry out for you and the autopilot flew it all. It was great. Now back in the E-120 I'm back to the thumb method.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back