non published holding patterns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atc gods must hate me then

I flew a garmin 430 equipped mojave for awhile and got non- published holds constantly. I remember 3 in one day. I assumed it was because I was GPS direct, off an airway, and screwing things up for center. Alot of these posts (by very qualified pilots) seem to say holding in general is fairly rare. Maybe I pi$$ed off the wrong person somewhere.

ADDED: SkyWestCRJPilot, it's adorable but dude you gotta take that baby pic down. Every time my wife sees it she starts talking baby. You're improving my sex life but I fear my bank account will soon die as a result.

Last edited:
I've had to do 2 holds, once when I was way to early for Oshkosh, it was a direct entry, 2 min legs, the other was a standard teardrop for a published hold to an NDB approach. That being said, for the Pt, the examiner had me holding at the intersection of 2 radials. THAT was a B1Tch.

labbats said:

Personally, I don't do the established parallel entry as written in the AIM. It's much easier to create a teardrop and intercept the inbound a ways out from the fix rather than do a proper parallel entry where you loop around and find yourself right on top of the fix, with a heading different from a normal inbound. Now you've got to deal with the extra turn, the extra time to make that turn, and a fix popping up on you at the most difficult time of a hold. It doesn't make sense.

Amen to that. Also, a teardrop guarantees that you're on the protected side of the hold.

from an atc standpoint and as someone with about 1500 hours of cross country ifr expierience, most controllers personally aren't going to care how you enter the hold.

hey Labbats, you wouldnt be refering to our GPS RWY 02 into Marion Illinois after our jump up from Nashville would you????
A little bit of nonstandard holding, a little argument that was anti CRM about which way we were supposed to hold? That was a fun approach, um.....go around!!! no wait! I see the runway, LAND! Hah, that was a good approach man, I cant remember who was flying that leg, you or me? Must of been you if I called the go around huh? Whats new man? Still looking for a pilot at CMA. They have a guy they are using for pilot service but **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, if you have the times get it going..... I know the guys at the company liked you after the endless trips we did in that plane. I still have those pics of that thunderstorm on the way into Cheyenne. Did we ever have good flying weather???

Check your PMs slacker....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back