Non-certified aircraft and known ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mtrv said:
If I were to minimize all risk's, I'd just stay ground bound...
Except for astronauts and people that have heart attacks on an airliner, almost everybody dies with their ass firmly planted on Terra Firma.

So, how does staying "ground bound" minimize all risks?

avbug said:
Perhaps you should stay on the ground.

You're dangerous.

So, what you're saying, is that because I choose to fly single engine aircraft over mountainous areas, in the daytime------ I'm dangerous. Please Explain???

And here is what's a bit sad. 90% of the time, I agree with you. Now, you're just trying to make it a pissing match, which I'm also good at. But, seeing as how you appear to be on a real low today, I'll let it go. :(

edit: Nevermind, I won't let it go. Over time, you've been the pronounced aviation expert on this forum. And then I come along and mention vacuum pad driven alternators and GPS panel pages which you were not aware of. Instead of " I didn't know that", your only comeback is "your dangerous". Quite a pathetic responce isn't it?

Last edited:
I'm dangerous. Please Explain???

I once flew a Piper Arrow, that suffered a catastrophic engine failure at night, in California. Four we're killed...But I prefer the risk.

Seems self-explainatory to me.

avbug said:
Seems self-explainatory to me.

Real cute, leave out a few sentences and then add the last quote. You're sinking to a new level today. I just never go that low.

edit: perhaps I should explain. The Arrow held four. Four were killed. I wasn't there.

Last edited:
This better?

I once flew a Piper Arrow, that suffered a catastrophic engine failure at night, in California. Four we're killed, and the engine failure had nothing to do with it's maintanance. I've since, hoped that it does'nt happen to me, yet I do also, plan for failure. If you're NOT hoping, everything is okay, then why are you planning for FAILURE?

If I were to minimize all risk's, I'd just stay ground bound, or no single engine mountainous flight. But I prefer the risk.

Seems self-explainatory.

Apparently that four died didn't sink in...didn't seem as personal because you weren't with them? You still prefer the risk. You still hope nothing goes wrong, but you prefer the risk.

Would five have made a bigger impression? Six? If you were with them would it have made a bigger impression? Perhaps with more than 500 hours of experience it might start sinking in...if you weren't in that vulnerable range of the 500 hour invincibility mark...would that make a difference?

Probably not. You prefer the risk.

to answer your orig question

Every piston single with TKS kicks butt compared to booted twins when talking ice here. Does ATC care....no I've flown mooney's, bonanza's and every little twin out there and there's simply no comparison, it just works better. But, it does run out with varying degrees of time. One of the systems relys on the prop slinging ice juice over the cowl and onto the windshield which, interestingly works better than the measley glass plates you see on twins. Safe, yes Legal, no. Best to not get cought...

Additionally, loose an engine in anything short of a King Air or MU-2 in ice and it gets interesting no matter what.

avbug said:
Perhaps with more than 500 hours of experience it might start sinking in...if you weren't in that vulnerable range of the 500 hour invincibility mark...would that make a difference?

Probably not. You prefer the risk.

My "risk" is single engine over mountainous areas in daylight conditions. I've said nothing more, nothing less.

I don't need talk of invincibility. I've had good friends and associates die in small aircraft accidents. I've seen a Baron go up in flames a few hundred yards of my home, the aftermath of a homebuilt crash on the other side of my fence, and the results of rather new Commander 114 with an on-board engine compartment fire, hit a home foundation across the street before my home was completed. I guess, this is one of those living next to an airport hazards.

You might even recongnize several of these accidents, since they're close to home.

Boy,oh boy, my risky friend. You've got airplanes raining down all around you. For a guy that loves risk so much, you must be thrilled.

You note you've got five hundred hours on your little bio, and you've flown airplanes that killed four people, had aircraft rain down on fire on three sides of your house, and had numerous friends killed in all manner of light craft.

But you prefer risk.

You really ought to take up needle point, or something.

With blunted needles. Rubber ones. In a room full of soft furniture. Non-flammable furniture. And for heaven's sake, move somewhere safer, before one finally comes through your living room window. Good luck with that.

Why is it that it's pretty much only the comparatively inexperienced pilots out there that condone the practice of single-engine IFR or night X-C flying?

'Sled

Latest resources

Back