Non-Aviation Question for Cargo Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I was surprised to learn the other day that a lot of work positions in FedEx don't give travel benefits. I was talking to a FedEx truck driver and he told me that his position is considered contract position and that they don't get travel benefits.

My cousin wants to get travel benefits working for a cargo operation such as sorting boxes for UPS. I was wondering which carriers and what positions will allow you to get discounted travel benefits?

Unless your cousin is a pilot then you will get no travel benefits at either company. If your cousin was a pilot he would only get jump seat privileges for himself.

I worked at UPS for 10 years and can assure you there are no flight benefits for anyone working the sort or driving.

I was surprised to learn the other day that a lot of work positions in FedEx don't give travel benefits. I was talking to a FedEx truck driver and he told me that his position is considered contract position and that they don't get travel benefits.

My cousin wants to get travel benefits working for a cargo operation such as sorting boxes for UPS. I was wondering which carriers and what positions will allow you to get discounted travel benefits?

At ABXAir we used to allow non pilot employees to travel on "our" system right up until 9/11. After that the FAA said other than Pilots only those "essential" to the flights operation could ride...mechanic, load-master, etc. Remember on most cargo aircraft everyone rides in the cockpit. It was a huge pain getting to and from work for the pilots who lived in FL during the winter when all the jumpseats where full of sort folks going to RSW, MIA, SJU...glad that has stopped. As far as discounts with a PAX carrier because you work for FDX, UPS, ABX etc....forget it we have no way to reciprocate so they are not very interested.

Last edited:
In terms of no flight benefits, does that include ID90s, ID75s, etc.? In other words, if my cousin worked as a FedEx box sorter, he still couldn't get discounted tickets on other airlines???

I used to be a ramp agent for fedex in mexico and all the workers at the ramp and customs and couriers had access to jumpseat and to discounts with lots ofbairlines, after 9/11 they dropped the jumpseatnbenefits but we still had the discounts and i went to europe once for free and once for 300 dlls round trip on AA

Latest resources

Back