• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Long story short:

I went to work for a shop, and the boss gave me big jobs that really did require a bit of knowledge. For a while there, I was doing intake-gaskets, head-gaskets, clutches, and engine work. Never before had an employer given me such responsibility. I was loving it. More importantly, all the repairs turned out okay as the cars never came back...

But then something happened. A former employee was "hired back". Now he gets all that good work, and most of my days are spend doing inspections, tires, oil-changes, batteries, and the occasional brake-job...

Now, I fully understand that this guy does indeed have more experience than I. He's got more tools, and can probably do repairs faster than I. What angers me is that in the last year since this guy was hired, I haven't gotten ANY of the better work. The boss knows I'm capable, but I just don't get the work...

I'm not greedy. That fact is, I could care less who gets what work and at what volume. But when I'm consistently denied the opportunity to be utilized at my full potential, it gets distressing. I'm young, and may be in the industry a while longer. I NEED to be utilized at my full potential so I can learn and gain valuable experience. That will not happen doing inspections and batteries...

Are my feelings justified, and should I say something to the boss??? Or should I just shut up and get back to the oil changes???

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Sorry, but when you're young, it is pretty much the same story too.

Gatorman said:
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Sorry, but when you're young, it is pretty much the same story too.

I have no desire to be the "lead dog". My only desire is to be able to perform work that's within my capacity to do. I really don't think that's an unreasonable request...

Saw your note and had to reply. It's probably not your fault about whats happening. Sounds like there was an understanding between the boss and the former mech. For whatever reason he left in the first place now that he's back, the boss is going to send the money jobs his way and by giving you the "chump" work, he is trying to get you to quit. That way, he won't be paying unemployment.
It happens, both in the dealerships and the independants. Sorry.
My thought would be to look around for another billet. There is always a slot open somewhere. Barnie

When you find the next job, send me a private message here. I have about $40k of snap-on and other brands, along with an S-O Intimidator tool box with two end cabinets.

It can go for half of what I paid for it. Good stuff, no initials engraved, etc. Fractional and metric.

If I could sell my four ASE masters certs, you could buy them too!

Latest resources

Back