• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No TR's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no i dont sit at the bar and tell that story...i have a life...thanks though...i was simply stating that they pack us in like sardines in MSP...and if you dont fly in there on a regular basis....which u probably dont if you fly an E145...u wouldnt have the first idea what you are talking about...which brings me back to my original point...nice verbal diahrea though junior....go back to vero beach

I don't know a gentle way to put it so I'll just be direct.

I've never experienced trouble at MSP and have never heard of MSP as a challenging airport from an ATC perspective (weather is a different story). The CRJ-200 is faster on approach than every airplane I've flown there. Perhaps you may want to explore your technique. When the controller says "maintain 170 knots until the marker" are you maintaining that speed all the way to the marker? If you are, maybe you are slowing more quickly than other aircraft? If you are using more than the minimum flap setting to maintain 170 knots this may be the case.

I don't disagree with no thrust reverser, but If you go off the runway for any reason and the thrust reverser's are not deployed, I hope you have a good lawyer. I think that is why most companies wont touch the subject of not deploying the thrust reverser's.

at Pinchanickle...we use full bore reversers on every landing...crack your jokes, but if you arent at full reverse and off of 30R in Minny in no time...your gonna have a DC-9 up your APU....

1. The reversers take forever to come out, if you stick it on the runway you will be below 80 by the time the reversers spool anyway.

2. Did you fly a different CRJ2 than I did? Last I checked, the butthole on the CRJ was listing lazily to the right....

Temperature cycles on turbine blades are a big point of wear. That is to say, the less you hear them up and cool them down the longer they last. The point was made above: by the time the TRs on a CF-34 unlock and deploy your at such a speed where the use of increased reverse thrust (beyond idle) is so ineffective it's not worth the wear. I also remember from back when I was flying CRJs that our company had figured that each TR deployment cost $17. That adds up. Also, carbon brakes (I can't remember for sure if the CRJ had them but I think it did, and I don't know about the EMBs) need to get hot if they're used. If you use them, USE them; they're work better and last longer. All better for you, the pilot.

Performance is figured without TRs involved and the airplane has brakes that will meet all the published #s, and temperature cycles on an engine are worse than anything. Throw out the trypical airline "US vs THE COMPANY" crap and take care of an engine that will be less likely to fail on you in the future. Again: better for the pilot. Screw the company, but don't f*ck the next crew.

The problem is that there are so many aholes who force the airplane down at Vref+10. If these guys would fly the thing like an airplane, TRs would hardly have to be used.

Performance is figured without TRs involved and the airplane has brakes that will meet all the published #s, and temperature cycles on an engine are worse than anything. Throw out the trypical airline "US vs THE COMPANY" crap and take care of an engine that will be less likely to fail on you in the future. Again: better for the pilot. Screw the company, but don't f*ck the next crew.

BS. Using TRs will not screw the next crew. And our contaminated landings are predicated on MAX TRs until 60 knots (and then idle below). If you don't use max TRs, those landing performance numbers are out the window for contaminated runways.

Look how many carriers have run CRJs off runways. Pinnacle at TVC, Skywest at CWA, at some point, it just ain't worth it. If you deploy them and then snap them up full reverse, they will kick in quick and are still very useful.

BS. Using TRs will not screw the next crew. And our contaminated landings are predicated on MAX TRs until 60 knots (and then idle below). If you don't use max TRs, those landing performance numbers are out the window for contaminated runways.

Look how many carriers have run CRJs off runways. Pinnacle at TVC, Skywest at CWA, at some point, it just ain't worth it. If you deploy them and then snap them up full reverse, they will kick in quick and are still very useful.

In the case of contamination you're absolutely correct, so long as you don't lose control due to the TRs.

The point is that doing hundreds of cycles a month the numbers has proved that you can shorten the life an engine with extra temperature cycles. And in the case of the CRJ, as I recall, the airplane slowed pretty quickly on the ground so by the time the reversers unlocked and actually would begin to spool you were already slowing the such speeds where they become less and less effective, no matter how hard you use them. They are the most effective at high speeds, so why blow the snot out of them slowing through 90 or even 100 knots. My experience showed (CRJ) that deployed at idle at near touchdown speeds the TRs rapidly slowed the airplane along with modest braking down to speeds where the brakes could be used with great authority and control and I remember there being very little need to run the piss out of the TRs. And if you take better care of the engine, much like a rented trainer, you're leaving it that much more likely to continue working for the next guys. That seems pretty simple.

That having been said, if you have an operational need for use of max reverse, then have at it. But on a 12000' runway what's the point?

The statistics from the manufacturers and operators are clear.

In the case of contamination you're absolutely correct, so long as you don't lose control due to the TRs.

The point is that doing hundreds of cycles a month the numbers has proved that you can shorten the life an engine with extra temperature cycles. And in the case of the CRJ, as I recall, the airplane slowed pretty quickly on the ground so by the time the reversers unlocked and actually would begin to spool you were already slowing the such speeds where they become less and less effective, no matter how hard you use them. They are the most effective at high speeds, so why blow the snot out of them slowing through 90 or even 100 knots. My experience showed (CRJ) that deployed at idle at near touchdown speeds the TRs rapidly slowed the airplane along with modest braking down to speeds where the brakes could be used with great authority and control and I remember there being very little need to run the piss out of the TRs. And if you take better care of the engine, much like a rented trainer, you're leaving it that much more likely to continue working for the next guys. That seems pretty simple.

That having been said, if you have an operational need for use of max reverse, then have at it. But on a 12000' runway what's the point?

The statistics from the manufacturers and operators are clear.

Excellent post!

Don't beat up the airplane just because you hate your employer.

Latest resources

Back