• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Pilot hiring in 2013 at DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With the continued reductions in capacity, I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't well into 2014 by the time DAL hires. With the flow throughs, the furlough bypassees, and such, I wouldn't be suprised if the average "off the street" pilot doesn't have a shot until 2015+.

There will be some flow throughs, but the DC9s are now supposedly staying longer into 2014, 14 MD90s will come next year, and the 717s and 739s start coming next year also. Yes, those 739s are replacements, but there will still be guys in training for the swap out of some older 757s etc. And the big question is still retirements. Nobody knows how many will jump ship. If the Fiscal Cliff doesn't kill everyone and gets resolved, and maybe the economy gets a jump start, maybe things will be better, and more guys will leave. You just never know, but there will be a lot of retirements, eventually.....

Also, I think newhire pay in 2015 goes to $71 an hour (?). That is a lot better than the $40 an hour AA will be offering. But, I think many Regional guys will be throwing in their apps at all of the legacies. The retirement numbers going forward are just too good. Better QOL and pay eventually will happen as guys retire in huge numbers.

Bye Bye---General Lee

On Delta Net under pilot selection it still says anticipating pilot hiring late 2013. So there is still hope. After reading how the statement came up, maybe he was referring to the number of pilots forced to retire would not trigger any hiring for 2013. I can't believe they will be able to staff the MD-90's and 717's with excess pilots they are carrying. I could be wrong.

On Delta Net under pilot selection it still says anticipating pilot hiring late 2013. So there is still hope. After reading how the statement came up, maybe he was referring to the number of pilots forced to retire would not trigger any hiring for 2013. I can't believe they will be able to staff the MD-90's and 717's with excess pilots they are carrying. I could be wrong.

Apparently one LEC rep said they are currently 1000 overstaffed.

I hate that this has turned into another tired DAL vs SWA thread, but along those lines, has anyone considered that since SWA screwed the Airtran pilots so badly, lots of ATL based 717 pilots (particularly FOs) may be applying at Delta as soon as hiring starts. If I were junior at Airtran, lived in ATL, and faced with the prospect of commuting to BWI or OAK, I sure would! There may not be as many slots for the regional pilots in 2013-14 as everyone thinks.

I hate that this has turned into another tired DAL vs SWA thread, but along those lines, has anyone considered that since SWA screwed the Airtran pilots so badly, lots of ATL based 717 pilots (particularly FOs) may be applying at Delta as soon as hiring starts. If I were junior at Airtran, lived in ATL, and faced with the prospect of commuting to BWI or OAK, I sure would! There may not be as many slots for the regional pilots in 2013-14 as everyone thinks.

Yeah right! Work for Southwest or start at the bottom at Delta. That's a no brainer.

Doesn't matter, the only people getting hired at Delta will be under qualified females.

Doesn't matter, the only people getting hired at Delta will be under qualified females.

Doesn't matter, since we got hired long before you, your sorry butt will be taking orders from an under qualified female... if you even pass the psych test here.

But with your lack of intellect, and constant "witty" comments that only you find witty, I'm sure you're ASA4LIFE. Enjoy that MRJ.

Doesn't matter, since we got hired long before you, your sorry butt will be taking orders from an under qualified female... if you even pass the psych test here.

But with your lack of intellect, and constant "witty" comments that only you find witty, I'm sure you're ASA4LIFE. Enjoy that MRJ.

At least you admit you're under-qualified...

Apparently one LEC rep said they are currently 1000 overstaffed.

A person in the Chief Pilot office told me about 400 fat. But, as people start to go to training on the incoming 717s and 737s, plus the 14 MD90s coming next year alone, things will start to get interesting. The DC9s will be staying longer than initially thought too, now into 2014. So, I would guess maybe some flow ups late 2013, then actual hiring in early 2014? Just speculation.

Bye Bye---General Lee

There's quite a few who have openly stated they are going to be doing exactly that. A pilot in the bottom 300 on the combined list at SWA won't upgrade even with 2% growth for over 20 years from Date of Signing last year. That's not a typo. Hell, I'm almost 1,200 on the combined list from the bottom and my upgrade looks to be 15 years from DoS last year.

And a junior F/O commute to BWI? I can't even hold BWI except on reserve. They're going to OAK/PHX, or LAS.

Our guys under 40 are thinking about it very seriously. No one really loses in that situation, the wide body access will make them their money back and then some if they can get hired in the first couple of years of hiring, the people below them get to move up, SWA management get to hire new-hires at 1st year pay in their place, etc, etc.

I'm estimating we'll lose at least 10% of the OAT pilots in the next 5 years to other companies. Some of the older guys who won't re-upgrade are talking about going ex-pat, etc.

But on-topic yes, I think you'll see a fair number of pilots with 717 experience get picked up by Delta as new-hires, especially initially when they will want to hire people with experience on the plane to pair with their upgrading CA's who have never seen it before. Just makes sense (not that THAT means anything in this industry). ;)

Last edited:
Seriously Lear?

You make it sound like Delta is re-launching the Concordes..."Reheat ON!"

It's just a DC-9 with an MD-11 Cockpit and some of us Del-duh types have flown both!

(Saw your smiley....just bustin balls)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back