Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mookie

luckiest man alive
I heard the Vomit Comet check on to departure today out of Ellington Field in houston. sounds like it was on its way to the bone yard. I thought the controller was going to cry...I think the pilot said it was a 1950's airframe. anyone know any cool trivia on the thing?

Mookie

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here you go:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]KC135 Data Sheet
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]By Glen Golightly

Houston Bureau Chief
[/font]
[/font][font=arial,helvetica]posted: 06:13 am ET
20 October 1999
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]This plane spent most of its career as an U.S. Air Force aerial refueling tanker for fighters and bombers. [/font][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]In the mid-1990s, NASA acquired the aircraft for use in microgravity experiments.

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Model: Boeing KC-135A (civilian version, Boeing 707)
[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Nickname: The Vomit Comet[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Tail number: N931NA[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Year built: 1963[/size][/font]

[/size][/font][font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Number of engines: Four turbojets

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Number of hours flown: 12,105 (as of 10/7/99)[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Number of parabolic dives: 16,744 (as of 10/7/99)[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Crew: Pilot, co-pilot, flight engineer and two test directors[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Cost to operate per hour: About $6,500[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Primary missions:[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]1.conduct microgravity research[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]2. fly ahead of the 747 that carries the shuttle and report on weather conditions.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]3. Testing microwave landing systems at airports.[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]4. Shuttle pilots in training with little experience in large aircraft use the KC-135A to gain experience.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Types of maneuvers and how long the effects last:[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Negative-g (-0.1g) About 15 seconds[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Zero-g About 25 seconds[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Lunar gravity About 30 seconds[/size][/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]Martian gravity About 40 seconds[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]
[/size][/font]

wow 504 days total in air time, and most of that time doing highly stressed moves, ya I think the ol bird needs to be retired. NASA will get another for sure.

Styles said:
wow 504 days total in air time, and most of that time doing highly stressed moves, ya I think the ol bird needs to be retired. NASA will get another for sure.
Which maneuver was "highly stressed"?

mzaharis said:
Lots of cycles from 0 to 2 Gs. Pullouts after each parabola were roughly 2 Gs.
...plus Tom Hanks peed in it.

I read yesterday that this aircraft is being replaced by a C9.

Latest resources

Back