• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more O2 mask--if you act now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was so long ago, I wouldn't know where to look, but it was used by the chamber check instructors as an illustration of what can happen in the "pressure breathing" region. At those altitudes, virtually all the air in your lungs is expelled and as you grab for that mask you're starting to pass out already. If you just hold the mask to your face, when you pass out, the mask falls away, but the one or two breaths that were forced into you revive you and the cycle repeats itself. It was used as an illustration of the importantance of a secure, sealed mask .

The newest EROS full face mask should go right over glasses.
Here's the FAA study. More info than you need. Bibliographic entry #8 references the T-39 incident.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA070285&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Last edited:
Did you see the date on that study? The quick donning mask we use now are called that for a reason. They can be donned in a matter of seconds, therefore, I see no need to have them on above 25000 ft. 35000 ft would be a more reasonable altitude to require it at. And yes, I have had altitude chamber training and am well aware of the consequences of a rapid decompression at altitude.

This is a dumb excuse. An intruder can use your shirt against you. Are you going to start a shirtless cockpit campaign?
So, we're not going to bother addressing one risk because there are other risks too? Getting rid of one risk is better than getting rid of none.

If an intruder can use a shirt against you, so be it. Right now they're asking us if they want to get rid of the pneumatically attached mask rule. Let's at least eliminate that risk now when we have the chance to. I'll assist you in the no-shirt-in-cockpit campaign when that one comes around.

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

Last edited:
Did you see the date on that study? The quick donning mask we use now are called that for a reason. They can be donned in a matter of seconds, therefore, I see no need to have them on above 25000 ft. 35000 ft would be a more reasonable altitude to require it at. And yes, I have had altitude chamber training and am well aware of the consequences of a rapid decompression at altitude.
The FAA said as much when they announced in Dec 05 "In this direct final rule, the FAA is amending its regulation on the use of pilot supplemental oxygen" effective 9 Jan 06. They didn't run it by the NTSB and they nixed it.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...64a7136de336f3e7862570d700784f73!OpenDocument

I have had altitude chamber training, am a newly reformed smoker and would feel confident not wearing the mask.

Back to the main topic of communicable disease. Don't underestimate this problem. Sani-wipes are NOT sufficient to kill whatever hides in the crevices etc. of the masks. Current methods of wiping off the mask do NOT comply with OSHA or HHS guidelines and rules. If you have ever taken an airborne pathogens course you will understand the concern. I don't have a better suggestion. Why is it that when I flew corporate, 135 legs required one pilot on oxygen above FL350, but 91 it was only required above FL410, why not make those standard at FL410 while they are at it? Lots of regs need a second look but in our overly litigious society I can't see any requirements being reduced.

Just sent it in. Hope it will actually change the rule! Thanks for your efforts densoo.

The Voice of Hypoxia

Thanks! This is the last day, last chance. Let's get rid of the octopus vacuum, pneumatic facemask, terrorist grab hold handle. Submit your comments.....

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a41a09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqWal_EmBg&feature=player_embedded

Here is the back story:

The events unfolded on July 26, 2008 when controller McCombs accepted
the hand-off of KFS66 (callsign Kalitta 66), which appeared to have a
stuck mike creating incomprehensible transmissions. Unclear to those in
the Center, however, was that the co-pilot's arm was all the while
moving violently and uncontrollably on the other end as the captain
worked hard to hand fly the aircraft.

Through the help of another pilot's translation, Jay learned that the
aircraft had declared an emergency. The plane was quickly changing
altitude and McCombs immediately began to suggest closer airports, only
to receive a reply that they wanted to continue to Ypsilanti , MI .

Amid the chaos to translate the captain's words, fellow controller
Stephanie Bevins turns on the receiver so that she can now hear the
pilot with her own headset. As she thinks through the symptoms in her
head, she concludes that he must be hypoxic, a serious condition
involving lack of oxygen due to pressurization problems. She knows
immediately that they must descend the aircraft.

Following Bevin's initiative, McCombs begins bringing the aircraft to
the lowest altitude available in order to alleviate the possible oxygen
deprivation. Unable to answer questions, the pilot is only able to
respond to direct commands that the controllers now begin to
voice."Descend and maintain," they repeat.

Remarkably, the captain's inability to turn on autopilot requires him
to have to work in order to fly the airplane, keeping him conscious and
the plane airborne. The pilot's words gradually become more
understandable, and around 11,000 feet, he returns to normal and
confirms that he had, indeed, been suffering from hypoxia.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back