• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more excuses= up your pay!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back 30 years ago it was closer to 17 times that of the average laborer. Japan, and most of Europe is still in that neighborhood. We have lost our way and are feeling it in the economy and the recent election. The people have finally had enough and we are in store for major changes. Enjoy the ride!

Also from what I understand, in some other European Countries and Australia, management can't take away ones pension in bankruptcy. The pensions are one of the first things that are protected by law, unlike the archaic anti-labor policies allowed in this country.

And I would still be happy if CEO's compensation was merely 40 times:rolleyes: that of their average labor. 17 times would certainly be nice, but lets not get ahead of our selves. And here's to hoping that Obama's promise of change includes putting some restrictions on these CEO's who have run rampant for far too long. And rebuilding the middle class! Lets hope that it is indeed a sweet ride!

how bout because there's places like Airtrain, Jetblue, Virgin, Spirit, and Allegiant, whose pilots work for peanuts, are because of that the ones setting the bar on fares.

The only competition with good wages sells seats at a relative loss because they're still paying for gas in 1985 dollars.

that's why scope needs to come first- before anything else.
The reason there are pilots willing to fly at JB/VA/Usair rates are b/c those companies are steps up from the regionals- hence-- this falls back into the laps of the Legacies- who have created these disenfranchised jobs.

This dividing of our careers affects EVERY pilot- corporate to boxes to major to military= it lowers the bar in an environment in which they will never have sufficient leverage to make the necessary gains.

As for the rest of you...
It takes years of training to be a pilot as well./ You're attitudes are awful about what you do- And you clearly don't know many who did not make it- or any good pilot that has died in an a/c. We are responsible for a LOT- And a lower amount of people than you think are willing to do this job at all, much less for what the average pilot ACTUALLY earns +the instability and real possibility of starting over.

As for the recession... it's nothing new to any of us... If 50+% paycuts and pensions stolen hasn't equalled a recession- i don't know what does. ... so now this monster created by corporate greed... That should somehow equal workers continuing to take it in the arse how?

I'm worth every penny i've ever been paid in this career and a WHOLE lot more.

I'm sorry you all don't feel the same. Maybe you should do your job more professionally and work a little harder and maybe you would feel the same way.
Could you imagine any exec saying the crap you all just typed out? He!!, i've never seen the average real estate agent say anything like that.

Last edited:
You're crazy dude. Wake up and smell the reality. There are thousands of guys who are not in the airlines that could fly the planes just as safely and efficiently as the fat, lazy, 50-something baby boomers doing it now.

Yes our profession takes years of training and a lot of sacrifice. But so does nursing and you won't see RNs making the ridiculous wages we make. Any Capt that thinks he deserves the 300k he makes at UPS/FDX or the 200k at the pax carriers is crazy.

Don't get me wrong--I'll take the wages. I just don't have any illusions about how much I deserve to be paid. First year FO pay should be around 75k and top capt pay should be no more than 150! I'm a 4th year FO and I make a lot more than a lot of doctors!!

Are you Management?

Too many problems......

Its going to take an act of "GOD" to help out our profession. We as a pilot group are willing to eat each other up or cut a friends neck to get "the job". Too many pilots are sitting in the ranks waiting to work for peanuts, just to fly.

Pilots must put pressure on ALPA and its senior heads to start listening to its members! I have a hard time supporting its cause when its top posts pay 300,000-400,000 dollar salaries, when we have thousands of pilots on the streets. Pilots pay and retirement are going down, down, down and I really do not see our leadership addressing these issues.

I am aware we are in bad economic times, but you would think THEY are working on a plan when the airlines start making money (assuming they make money again), and the economy starts picking up again.

Just venting because we have huge issues here to address before I believe pay will go up in our industry.

Just my .02 cents worth........

we do have issues... so again... what airlines are where in the neg. process?
who is realistically tackling the scope issue? can any of you see how we have to be humble enough to bring these guys into the hold- or else we will continue to hurt ourselves?
Where is united on the seniority issue?
We either come together or we don't- but i hope everyone on this board is DONE chasing the 'carrot'.

So are you suggesting that we continue to let our pay slide? The oncoming global depression doesn't seem to be hurting the wages of management, or doctors and lawyers for that matter. Why are we different? Why shouldn't they share in the pain?

People like you and liljerry are pathetic! You are managements wetdream. You people have no respect for yourselves and cave at everything management demands. When will people like you start asking yourselves why you think management deserves the excesses they get all the while demanding more from us for less.

MBA types are in demand and those with the know how can negotiate their pay. It's all supply and demand. I fly an A-300 now. It's 10 times easier than flying the KC-135 when I was a new aircraft commander with 1000 hours total time.

We get what we can negotiate. WIth the tens of thousands of eligible pilots out there wanting to work I doubt the legacies will ever increase their pay again. ALPA is an absolute joke and I am so glad that we don't have them on property at UPS. You ALPA guys have a lot more to lose with ALPA than they could ever gain for you.

MBA types are in demand and those with the know how can negotiate their pay. It's all supply and demand. I fly an A-300 now. It's 10 times easier than flying the KC-135 when I was a new aircraft commander with 1000 hours total time.

We get what we can negotiate. WIth the tens of thousands of eligible pilots out there wanting to work I doubt the legacies will ever increase their pay again. ALPA is an absolute joke and I am so glad that we don't have them on property at UPS. You ALPA guys have a lot more to lose with ALPA than they could ever gain for you.

That is something when a tanker guy like you says something is easier to fly! Aside of that, I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. First, you are not paid by how easy your plane is to fly. You are paid for your experience and judgement. A lot of money, lives and your companies existence is at stake each time you lift off. Second, MBA in demand? Right. You can get in line with the other thousands of MBAs standing on the street right now...supply and demand. Last, while ALPA is not perfect and has made mistakes, you once again have no idea what you are talking about. You probably slid right out of the military into UPS. I have seen many of your kind and the utter ignorance is amazing. Maybe you should shut your pie hole and enjoy your great pay. If you don't feel you deserve it, then go become a management pilot and try to take it away from the others.

Latest resources

Back