• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"No Meal Service"...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I get the feeling that people working in airports have a superiority complex. And I am NOT talking about pilots since you don't really have contact with them. I'm talking ticket agents, rent-a-cops, TSA, and gate agents.

I guess when you KNOW that someone has to go through you to get somewhere, you can do what you want.

Man, I hate commercial flying.

I was lucky enough to grow up an "airline brat" and many years ago used to non-rev with my folks or by myself often. I remember when Delta's gate agents used to treat me and my siblings as well or better than the paying fares. They were fantastic and always helpful it seemed. That all ended some fifteen years ago or so it seems.

Now, I've still got pass privilages on DAL and a couple other airlines through relatives and buds; and I non-rev about once a year on average. I once went three years without doing one. I often get treated with indifference, and sometimes outright rudeness. I always dress nice, and try to be as polite as possible, but I also want to point out that non-rev protocal seems to differ from airline to airline, and even from Hub to Hub. I don't get the memos that say exactly how to fill out the pass, where to stand, what color tie to wear, and what to say. I'm so freakin' sorry!

Since the fees on domestic trips often aren't a lot less than a discount fare on Southwest, I more often just buy a ticket. And as far as *my* experience goes, SWA has always been very, very good to me. As has AWE by the way. Your milage may vary I suppose.

Somebody just ought to remind the gate agents, (who DO have a stressful job, I realize), that not every non-rev is wedded to their airline. We still buy tickets too, and experiences matter.

Its not just U.S. airlines. I just flew back from Frankfurt on Lufthansa. Now I've flown A LOT with them, and I checked about 2 hours prior and saw that Business and 1st class weren't even half full.

So after everyone had entered the gate area, I politely asked the agent if there is any chance of an upgrade. Of course, I had my boarding card and freq flyer card in hand. He says to me, "What do you want me to do? Put you next to a hot woman?"

Uh, what a doofus. His airline *needs* people like me that pay unrestricted full economy fares.

Believe it or not, 1st and Business class were not full at all. I didn't mind sitting in coach. It was way in the back where on a 744 the seats go from 3 to two and no one was put next to me.

I've always been upgraded on other airlines, but thats not the point. The point is the guy was a serious d!ck about it.

You know come to think about it I never had any problems with anybody at the airport except two groups. TSA and CSR's makes you think huh!

Weird. I flew United ORD-CDG and the gate agents were very friendly and helpful to me, just being an offline jumpseater international. The gate agent even talked with the F/As and they decided to put me in business class out there. I've had good luck with gate agents most of the time. So they aren't ALL bad.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back