• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No gun-totin' in the cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I truly feel as well as the vast majority of people that the correct choice was made and I tend to somewhat agree with NC regarding his opinions concerning this issue and fortunately the "gun" issue is 100% "dead" AND now the safe alternative method can be worked out and hopefully perfected. I think the bottom line is that having a gun on the flight deck would not stop any possible terrorist that is that determined- IF (once again) "they" are NOT allowed on the aircraft in the first place then the gun issue is completely irrelevant and the problem has already been solved. Wahhlaaa- easy enough huh?- time shall tell but fortunately we are headed into the right direction.

IF one is that hard up on wanting to get guns on an airplane then the secret service, FBI, CIA, or the many other branches may be a very possible avenue for one to take( just the "same" thought)

C H E E R S
3 5 0

well since norman mineta and the TSA do not make law, the issue isnt even close to being 100% dead. we have other branches of the government that make the laws in this country and they have people that are introducing bills to pass to allow pilots to carry guns in the cockpit.

no one is suggesting that we dont keep the hijackers off the planes to begin with. no one is saying, put guns on and forget about ground security. the idea is, since humans are fallible and not all security measures work, let there be another option besides a missle from an f-16 in case all this high-speed ground security doesnt work. if it does work like you suggest, like mineta and others are counting on it working, then the gun will never need to be used. better to have it and not need it, that not have it and need it (kinda like altitude, gas and room on the runway). if the terrorists are so good they that they are going to get the gun, then they would have taken over the aircraft even without a gun and the air force could still shoot us down.

the issues that NC brought up are concerns...but they are ones that can and would be addressed before implementing a program like this. they went through a lot of training, and thats exactly what the volunteer pilots should get.

in reference to NC's numbering questions, i would figure the answers would be:

1: you dont carry all around town, you pick it up from flight ops, or in a small safe in the plane.

2: depends, could be in a rack easy (only able to?) to reach from his seat

3: see 1

4: see 1

5: police get by security, yet we're not worried about a terrorist with a fake uniform and badge? regardless as far as going thru security see 1.

6: yes, thats a lot harder than trying to figure out how take over a plane with 2 helpless people in the front. now he has to figure out how to magically and silently appear in the cockpit before anyone can figure out what he's up to.

with the new reinforced doors, someone trying to get through is gonna take a little while. by the time someone smashes through the door, one of the pilots would be able to get up and be ready to shoot at almost point blank. wouldnt have to draw their weapon across someone. besides, who pulls their weapon out and fans it across the horizon while they spin/turn around?

"I think the bottom line is that having a gun on the flight deck would not stop any possible terrorist that is that determined- IF (once again) "they" are NOT allowed on the aircraft in the first place then the gun issue is completely irrelevant and the problem has already been solved. Wahhlaaa- easy enough huh?- time shall tell but fortunately we are headed into the right direction"

With all do respect 350driver, if it was that easy then this subject would be nullified. There is no way that you can keep 100% of the terrorists off of an airplane (unless your El Al...sp?) and the American public is not ready to give up the freedom they do to fly that airline. I certainly agree that guns are not the best solution, but I'd rather have one myself than some guy in the back that I can outshoot: Big joke

350 driver, obviously there is no reasoning with you. Your statement "a vast Majority of people" You had better check your facts first 70-75% of pilots want this, the last time I checked that would be the majority! I suppose guns cause crime too. I have no problem if you want to live in never never land where you think everything is wonderful all the time but not me. Reality is here the only thing safe about the other alternative is a would be terrorist will be much safer. If you just dont want guns on planes you have your right to your own opinion but dont sit here and try and justify your opinion with hogwash! All your objections have been dealt with in the proposals in the senate and the house, so its not dead!!! we dont live in a dictatorship (yet). I know it's difficult but try and check the facts before you spew forth. I'm just rambling now but one final statement "SURE YOU CAN TRUST THE GOVERNMENT, JUST ASK AN INDIAN" I guarentee the sidewinder blowing your wing off will make you feel better about yourself on the way down knowing that you did'nt endanger anyone with a "gun"

350 driver, obviously there is no reasoning with you. Your statement "a vast Majority of people" You had better check your facts

So all people are "pilots"who were against guns which is the "majority"as you have stated.? (my stupidity- guess everyone in DC are "now" pilots & I and a few others are in the "minority"- absolutely amazing that guns are NOT to be in the cockpit since as you have stated the "majority" of people "were" for it...hmmm..- interesting huh?-lol (I guess "other" groups didn't have any push or pull)

Since we have NO other choice wouldn't it be smart to "attempt" to MOVE ON and come up with solutions and different options to make security better than you throwing your "assumptions" and opinions out as well as I myself doing the same.??- YOU "were" for guns in the cockpit- OK I respect that BUT in all sincerity who cares now?- The ruling has already been made BUT IF down the line it is reversed then GREAT, guns on the flight deck and so be it..
OR lets continue to ridicule and degrade our current workers for kicks and "hope", "dream", and "wish" you had a gun to make you feel safer....- I understand completely & respect where you are coming from BUT with all due respect it is YOUR opinion versus mine and who really cares.?-

If you just dont want guns on planes you have your right to your own opinion but dont sit here and try and justify your opinion with hogwash

I must say YOU are doing a great job at "attempting" to justify your great praise for having a gun on the flight deck using as you put it "hogwash"!!

C H E E R S
3 5 0

Your right there is no point debating this any further. However if you want a list of the congressmen and Senators that say it's not over I'll send you a list. let me know. They introduced a new bill on the 24th. Again this is not yet a dictatorship.

FR8mastr-
IF in the end (whenever that may be guns are found to be in the best interest of safety for all involved then I have not one problem with having a gun on the flight deck for whatever reason(s) that are the deciding factors.- I will reiterate once again it was just "MY" personal OPINION regarding this whole issue to make it a ground security issue/problem versus making a pilot worry not only about all of the lives onboard his aircraft BUT the many innocent lives on the ground.... Maybee I am wrong to feel confident in the "system" BUT time shall tell I guess- - I do think we are a long way from a competent, safe, and educated ground security workers... HOW do we make sure the workers being hired are the "best" possible people for the job acting as our last life line.?

I just think that IF you avoid a possible problem to begin with prior to "allowing" it to become a serious problem at 30,000 then a gun would be irrelevant. we shall see, just MY opinion..

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back