• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Frills, No-profit: Ryanair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pax on Ryanair have no right to complain about service. When they're bags wind up in Bermuda and they get nothing -- not even water -- on their flight, they have gotten what they paid for.

GogglesPisano said:
Pax on Ryanair have no right to complain about service. When they're bags wind up in Bermuda and they get nothing -- not even water -- on their flight, they have gotten what they paid for.

Why does a cheap price automatically equal a poor product or low wages? It would appear at first glance their pay is pretty competitive (including profit sharing), they are making money, and growing rapidly.

I don't think it is correct to say the trouble with the airline industry is cheap fares anymore then it is to say it is high pilot salaries. Though I do think the hostility that the airline workers show to their potential customers might have a little to do with it.

GogglesPisano said:

Oh yea the U.S. airline industry is doing a great job not losing bagagge.

You can get water, you'll just have to pay for it. Sounds fair to me. I buy a plane ticket to get from point A to point B, not b/c of the free pop.

Do they give you drinks on a greyhound bus? (serious question, i've never been on one, I've been on a charter bus and they didn't give me anything to drink or eat.)

Last edited:
AC560 said:
Why does a cheap price automatically equal a poor product or low wages?

As a general rule, there is a direct correlation -- from shopping (Walmart vs Gap) to automobiles (Mercedes vs Yugo) to hotels (Hyatt vs Ramada.) You know this.

AC560 said:
It would appear at first glance their pay is pretty competitive (including profit sharing), they are making money, and growing rapidly.

Sure, and as an added bonus, they get fired for charging their cellphones on company property. O'Leary fancies himself the Herb Kelleher of Europe, except he forgot the corporate culture part.

AC560 said:
Though I do think the hostility that the airline workers show to their potential customers might have a little to do with it.

Take a 40-50% paycut, lose a pension that was promised you when you were hired, deal with the obnoxious $50 R/T white-trash who roll their eyes when they find out there's no meal because they haven't flown on an airplane for 20 years, and work longer hours while your bosses write themselves 7-figure bonuses. We'll see where your morale winds up.

GogglesPisano said:
Take a 40-50% paycut, lose a pension that was promised you when you were hired, deal with the obnoxious $50 R/T white-trash who roll their eyes when they find out there's no meal because they haven't flown on an airplane for 20 years, and work longer hours while your bosses write themselves 7-figure bonuses. We'll see where your morale winds up.

I worked in the airline industry and got a 100% pay cut, I don’t blame the customers for that though.

AC560 said:

I worked in the airline industry and got a 100% pay cut, I don’t blame the customers for that though.

My condolonces to you, sir. Good luck.

wmuflyguy said:
commercials on the radio drive me nuts, i'm still trying to convince my self to get XM.

Listen to satellite for one day and you won't have to convince yourself any more. I prefer Sirius for the programing. Absolutely NO commercials on the music stations, Howard Stern, NFL, and NASCAR in Novermber. Plus three NPR channels which I enjoy.

I recommend Sirius as much as I recommend the Bose headset, which if you search my post's is pretty much any time anyone asks.

I have experienced XM on a only a few limited occasions and haven't had a chance to sample siruis. I'm not a Howard Stern fan, so that isn't a big deal to me. Does Siruis have NHL game broadcasts? I need soemthing to follow the red wings on.

The reason I was thinking XM was cause of the Myfi, Sirius doesn't (to my knowledge) have a portable unit that actually that recieves live broadcasts, they have the one you can record like 5 hours on and take it with you.

Sirius has NHL and NBA. The technology is a little behind XM, but the programming is superior.

You are right, Sirius doesn't have a truly mobile unit. I'm curious how well the XM mobile unit works. I'm sure it works fine outside, but based on my experience with Sirius, I would bet that it doesn't work well inside. It's my understanding that you have to have a clear view of the southern sky with XM, because of the geostationary satellites. Sirius doesn't have to face south, but still doesn't work inside without an antenna pleaced close to a window.

DrewBlows said:
Sirius has NHL and NBA. The technology is a little behind XM, but the programming is superior.

You are right, Sirius doesn't have a truly mobile unit. I'm curious how well the XM mobile unit works. I'm sure it works fine outside, but based on my experience with Sirius, I would bet that it doesn't work well inside. It's my understanding that you have to have a clear view of the southern sky with XM, because of the geostationary satellites. Sirius doesn't have to face south, but still doesn't work inside without an antenna pleaced close to a window.

I have a xm roady for the plane and can hardly fly without it. I got XM b/c the equipment was cheaper and I hated to kill much money if it didn't work in the plane like expected. I have a feeling I'll get a Sirius come college football season for the SEC sports though.

Latest resources

Back