No college success story

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
Flying my trusty old C-47 to AZO last week, I find out one of pax is an airline pilot. So invite him up to the cockpit to show him the cockpit, part 91 you know. Turns out he is a non-college grad, part 121 TJ Captain who just turned 24 yr. old. He is doing his degree on-line, and when he is 27 yr. old he will have around 6000TT, 5000 MEL 3000 TJ PIC and a four-year degree. This will coincide nicely with the June 2007 hiring boom. How does this compare to a 4-yr. degree guy who at age 23 has a CFII and 350 hr. The current 121 TJ PIC will be hired by CAL/SWA/JB/AirTran, etc., while the college grad will be going to Comair, Pinnacle, Cogan, etc. If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes. Oh I forgot, you go to college to have good time, my mistake.

Just what one needs...

career advice from someone who heads up one of the most notorious $hitbag operation in aviation.

Heck, his own people come on here and call him a complete arsehole.

:rolleyes: .

Give it a rest YIP...

Last edited:
I am currently flying a wide body jet around the world without a college degree but does that mean I would recomend not getting one, Hell no! If I had a degree I would have a few more open doors and a shot at someone like UPS or FedEx. As it is I have a fair amount of expierence and an A&P but its no substitute for a college degree. I am however confused why when I sent in a resume to UPS and FedEX with my PHD from U of S. of H.K.'s I did not get a response from them, oh well go figure.

gulfstream long time no see, hang in there your input is always enlightening

"BUT he is still stuck at the rat-assed freight level and is bitter because he never got (or maybe never capitalized on) the opportunity to progress beyond that level... "

Wrong again DA Capt, I consider myself one the luckiest guys in the world, I have done everything I wanted to do in my career, I love what I do, I get to fly all kinds of different airplanes. I have never made it to what alot of people would think as a career goal. But my child hood dream was to be a Navy pilot, I did that, after that everything else has been gravy. You can not impose your judgement of my career, because you are looking at it from your point of view. I would not want your job, but I do not judge you for having your job. In the end it is all about flying airplanes, my life has been fulfilled.

pilotyip said:
gulfstream long time no see, hang in there your input is always enlightening

Do you not head a total $hitbag operation?
Do your peers not come on here and tell the world how you screw them?
Shall we do a thread review?

See ya in 6 months when you post your "TJ PIC" theory of success in aviation again...

please, lets talk "enlightening" yip, lets do.

:rolleyes: .

gulfstream I am just a score keeper and a clerk, and again you give me too much credit. I am just a reporter and have very little input to the operation at USA Jet. But I think I am an easy target for unhappy people, such is life. I think for every negative post you quote there wil a counter quote, but guess those do not count. You one those guys complaining about pay made around $14,000 gross last month, but you will not hear that side of the story.

Engineering degree isn't too bad of a backup, but like anything it takes time in job to pay off. Senior managers in engineering companies don't usually think too much of a 20-29 year old with an engineering degree until he/she gets some experience and maturity. He/she may be the smartest guy around but that's just the way the industry seems to work. So when one post said, "no security in a defense contractor engineer job", that's not the whole story. If you hang in there long enough, it pays off if you are good. Lot of guys just don't have the patience.

It seems to me, flying is even more that way. No one thinks much of you until you have about 1000 turbine pic. (Not to mention that mother nature laughs at any pilot who thinks he is totally in charge.)

Any attorneys out there think that law is a good side job?

Latest resources

Back