Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

no 4 year degree.....deal breaker or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
college=education?

I agree. College does not make the individual. I have seen trade type individuals blow my salary out of the water. It's all in what you want. I just think the value of a college education should not be ignored.
I also agree, but going to college does not guarantee an education.

If it takes money to be happy then I'm sorry for those people. I'm broke and still happier than a pig in ********************.

6 pages later, in sum, we now know that

A degree makes you more competitive for the harder-to-get jobs, such as SWA, FDX (only an example )
A degree has NOTHING to do with IQ points
A degree has NOTHING to do with flying ability
A degree is held by more folks than not
And.....A degree makes you more competitive for the harder-to-get jobs, such as SWA, FDX (only an example)

So, everything else being equal, get the degree

** If you are 11 years old and reading this, I recommend a degree from the Air Force Academy, a career flying KC-10s, KC-135s, C-40's, retire as a Colonel, and go to the airlines, preferably FDX or UPS.

Make that 7 pages now, and we have realized the above....

:rolleyes:

we will see

I don't have a degree yet but plan to finish school when I can. The investment will pay off in time. But if I didn't have plans to move on I wouldn't worry about it.

smart move

I don't have a degree yet but plan to finish school when I can. The investment will pay off in time. But if I didn't have plans to move on I wouldn't worry about it.
sounds like you have got it figured out. It is not needed at the beginning when flight time is the important thing, and then while building flt time you get a degree to check the box. Best of luck to you.

As an aside for what it's worth, be careful of the degree you pursue and what institution you get it from. make sure that the degree is viable, something that you could use outside of aviation should it come to that AND make darn sure that the college/university is accredited by a respected and known accreditdation board. yes you can get all the online degrees you want, but are they worth the paper they are printed on? one of the news shows a couple years back did a special on this issue and different states have different regulations for online degrees. wyoming stood out among them as being very lax and all kinds of internet university start ups being licensed and selling BA's for $500, Phd's for $1000, ect. DAL uses about a 3" thick book to look up every degree and institution on every applicant, I know this for a fact as I've sat in the director of hiring's office (AK) and he showed it to me (I was trying to get a buddy an interview and his degree was from outside the US). If the college/university/degree isn't in the book you do not get considered for an interview. DAL will also use a 3rd party source to determine whether or not an expat degree will qualify if the institution isn't in their book.

Latest resources

Back