Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain dad

NJI and NJA Merger Official / And Increased Senior NJA Pay Scales

It's true. More money and Merger. Life is good.

Discuss...

NJI guys, what are your feelings about all of this? Good, bad or indifferent?

Last edited:
All GIV/V FO's after 10/21/08 will be from the NJA senority list, 10/21/10 all PIC's will be filled from NJA senority list.

I would like to be the first to welcome them to NJA. This is going to be a very stressfull time for them and I hope they realize that they can count on a professional reception from the brothers and sisters of 1108.

In my six years with NJA I have always found the NJI crews to be pleasant and professional. One of my fellow NJA pilots wrote on our message board tonight that we all represent the Netjets brand and this should only serve to solidify our position in this industry.

I usually don't post on these boards but this is just too important of a time to stand by and not get involved. I am very much loking forward to talking to NJI crews to find out how they feel about the changing world we will be sharing!

Ok, let the crazyness begin.................................

It's true. More money and Merger. Life is good.

Discuss...

NJI guys, what are your feelings about all of this? Good, bad or indifferent?

Wow some details might be nice....what do you expect people to DISCUSS?

But, you're just leaping out there with no details, again.

How about letting NJI guys know there is seat protection, pay protection and several years of transition.

Please go back to being happy you can fly from home and getting a wicked good raise.

Last edited:
As a current NJA pilot, I hope that this transition (inevitable as it is) will proceed as smoothly as designed and intended by the Union/Company leadership. The merger LOA has been crafted in such a way as to make the transition process as FAIR and painless as can be possible for a merger of two pilot groups (particularly when one group is unionized and the other is not).

As with all mergers, however, there will be aches and pains - and there will certainly be some individuals who feel that they are getting the short end of the stick.

My hope is that my fellow NJA pilots will conduct themselves professionally and respectfully when discussing these issues with other NJA brothers in various pilot lounges, or when discussing the topic face-to-face with NJI pilots. Throwing the threat of a "staple job" around or shoving the new contract down the throat of an NJI brother is not going to go over very well, and will likely escalate the tension.

NJI pilots, for their part, will benefit from taking a step back and learning all that they can about our contract (2007 TA) - particularly, for them, the improved workrules and pay - and how it will impact them. My guess is that a vast majoity of NJI pilots, despite having to pay dues to the union, will be pleased with what they see...but only if they take the time to learn the facts before forming a snap decision, rather than relying on what they heard in the crew room at TEB the other day.

One thing to consider: the NJA/NJI merger is all but inevitable - it's no longer a question of IF, but WHEN. Santulli/Rosenthal recognize this fact and have made a very smart business move with this LOA. The LOA smoothly paves the road ahead (vs. taking the rocky path of the legal system, and all that goes along with that - hostility, morale, etc) and, as icing on the cake, the LOA does nothing but help to ensure that the 2007 TA passes.

One company - one pilot group - one contract. A combined pilot force, above all else, creates one HELL of a powerful bargaining unit. What else needs to be said on this?

Lastly, the NJI pilots should find some additional comfort in the fact that we (NJA pilots) will likely soon (after the results of the TA) begin the process of becoming an in-house union, leaving the Teamsters in our dust (and pocketing the $100,000+/month in dues we pay to the National office, for NOTHING in return). Paying dues to an in-house union (vs. a large organization such as the Teamsters) is a much easier pill to swallow.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Wow some details might be nice....what do you expect people to DISCUSS?

But, you're just leaping out there with no details.

How about letting NJI guys know there is seat protection, pay protection and several years of transition.

Please go back to being happy you can fly from home.

I will try to post some details for you here, after I download the document.

In short, there is seat protection, pay protection and several years allowed for transition. The goal for full integration is November 2010.

Starting in Nov. 2008, all NJI F/Os will come from NJA (in order to help the transition).

Between now and November 2010, 1/3 of the captain upgrades will continue to come from NJA - the same as it is today.

I will post more details later. I believe that for a merger of two pilot groups, this is about as close to win-win as can be achieved.

I will try to post some details for you here, after I download the document.

In short, there is seat protection, pay protection and several years allowed for transition. The goal for full integration is November 2010.

Starting in Nov. 2008, all NJI F/Os will come from NJA (in order to help the transition).

Between now and November 2010, 1/3 of the captain upgrades will continue to come from NJA - the same as it is today.

I will post more details later. I believe that for a merger of two pilot groups, this is about as close to win-win as can be achieved.

I'm wasn't posting for you Njapilot, the details will get to the NJI guys soon enough. My post was directed to Capt Dad who always has something to say. Starting this thread without details is bush league, at best.
He goes on and on about decorum in a recent post and tosses this fish on the floor hoping the NJI guys know the details of what came out of the negotiations TONIGHT.

As I said, he's happy to be here and should leave it at that. More money, easier commute.
NJI ?!?!?! will that change Capt dad's vote? I don't think so.

Last edited:
X402, you won't have to move to one of the 100 bases. NJI pilots will be grandfathered into their current bases. I think you'll find the work rules beneficial. A peaceful integration is best for all concerned and sooner, rather than later, makes sense in this new era of cooperation. Best wishes to all for a smooth transition and a friendly integration! :) NJW

SELECTED EXCERPTS FROM THE LOA (THESE RELATE MORE TO NJA PILOTS):

A. Letter of Agreement for NJA Crewmember Movement to NJI

1. NJA crewmembers will be offered on the basis of NJA seniority at least one-third of the NJI G-IV posted Captain vacancies, excluding Instructor, Check Airman, and Management position vacancies, and at least one-half of the NJI First Officer G-IV posted vacancies.

2. Effective November 21, 2008, NJA crewmembers will be offered on the basis of NJA seniority all NJI First Officer G-IV posted vacancies. NJA crewmembers bidding for NJI Captain or First Officer positions must have two (2) or more years of service at NJA and must meet the minimum hiring requirements of NJI (i.e., 5000 Total Flight Hours, an FAA First Class Medical, and an ATP with multiengine land certification).

a. In the event an insufficient number of NJA crewmembers accept posted NJI First Officer vacancies, the Company shall allow the next NJA new hire who meets the NJI hiring criteria to transfer to NJI immediately after his hire at NJA. The parties acknowledge and agree that NJA in such cases shall not provide a NJA type rating to the new hire crewmember.

3. The posted vacancies at NJI are for the G-IV positions. All pilots at NJI will initially fill G-IV positions (e.g., Captain or First Officer). For every vacancy that is filled in the G-V (encompassing the Gulfstream 450, G-V, and Gulfstream 550), there will be a corresponding new vacancy available in the G-IV.

4. Transferring NJA crewmembers awarded NJI Captain positions will be seat-locked at NJI for four (4) years. Transferring NJA crewmembers awarded NJI FO positions will be seat-locked at NJI for three (3) years. NJA pilots who transition to NJI must satisfy the seat lock before bidding for a G-V position. Thereafter, Captain opportunities in the G-V will be awarded based on VSL Seniority to Captains in the G-IV.

5. NJA crewmembers awarded an NJI Captain or First Officer position will be paid according to the appropriate NJA base 7 & 7 wage tables established in Section 27 of the 2007 Basic Agreement based on their NJA date of hire.

6. NJA crewmembers employed by NJI will retain and accrue NJA seniority and will have retreat rights to NJA, subject to the seat locks in Paragraph 4, above, and the provisions of Paragraphs 10 and 11, below.

7. NJA crewmembers who transfer to NJI employment are subject to NJI’s training process and training requirements and work rules.

8. NJA crewmembers moving to NJI will receive employment benefits at NJI substantially equivalent to those at NJA. The parties stipulate that the employment benefits provided by NJI at the time of ratification of the 2007 Basic Agreement are substantially equivalent to those set forth in the 2007 Basic Agreement for NJA crewmembers.

9. Notwithstanding the provisions of Paragraphs 1 – 8, above, NJI reserves the right to hire Captains and First Officers directly into NJI in the event a marketing/sales opportunity is facilitated by this commitment or as a result of an obligation which results in a closed sale. For example: NetJets displaces the flight department of Corporation “X” by selling fractional shares and hires the Corporation’s pilots as an element of the transaction.

10. NJA crewmembers who accept positions at NJI pursuant to this Letter of Agreement will remain as active Local 1108 members consistent with Section 11 of the 2007 Basic Agreement in order to retain and accrue seniority.

[continued...]

Last edited:
X402, you won't have to move to one of the 100 bases. NJI pilots will be grandfathered into their current bases. I think you'll find the work rules beneficial. A peaceful integration is best for all concerned and sooner, rather than later, makes sense in this new era of cooperation. Best wishes to all for a smooth transition and a friendly integration! :) NJW

Ah, you're right about that, I'm a HBA grandfathered pilot. Been at NJA longer than your husband, who I have a great deal of respect for. I just have a difficult time listening to the ramblings of our new guys (ie Capt Dad) go on and on about how great this IBB will be and then start threads that can do nothing but worry the very people we need to engage in a POSITIVE manner.

Capt Dad, needs to say thank you I got here just in time. That's all, no lectures, no BS, good timing on his part. I wish I had been so smart when I came here 7 years ago.

PS I love the Blue Mountain cards....thank you

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back