• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Struggling?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Too bad the left side didn't know what the right side was doing in terms of hiring and how many pilots were actually needed.

Too bad the left side didn't know what the right side was doing in terms of hiring and how many pilots were actually needed.

Diesel,
If the left side and the right side starting talking then there won't be a "need" for as many on the left and right. Job security, my friend.

NJA may or may not furlough time will tell, but I won't expect any hiring either.

Last edited:
Furlough. It's a distinct possibility. I hear bookings are down by 20 to 25 percent.
No industry or company will be immune from this housing collapse.

Naaaaghgh.

Will have to see everyone booted from the 18 day schedule back to the 7&7 schedule first... before any furloughs.

If that happened it would be like we lost the equivalent of 250 pilots... because of the 36 extra days a year 18 day fixed schedule pilots fly per year. That would be like the equivalent of a 5%-10% reduction in force, without any furlough.

I cannot see people being furloughed while others work extra days for more money.

Last edited:
Naaaaghgh.

I cannot see people being furloughed while others work extra days for more money.

You've been at NJA longer then I have. There are guys that would sell their wife and kids just to earn a buck. If NJA furloughed and asked for volunteers to pick up flying, the list would be full of these greedy, selfish pilots.. I believe we also have many SCABS that work for us. That should say enough... :(

First of all ... there will not be any furloughs.

Aircraft are being delivered. When that changes ... lets talk again.

2nd.
People are working the 18 day schedule. When that changes ... lets talk again.

I don't see any reason for people to work that schedule while others are furloughed.

One thing in our favor against furloughs is that we were never remotely able to meet net new hire targets for several years-- mostly due to simulator backlogs, and also due to a few waves of rather silly ship-jumping attrition - e.g. those new hires who got typed but were domiciled in the 5 bases, had big plane envy and jumped to the first legacy who offered a job, or, even more absurdly, stooped to the likes of Skybus. So at least that failure to meet targets put a little buffer in there, along with the 18-day schedule and other factors mentioned. Plus, I think the scale of the Obama stimulus, and the fact that Europe and especially Asia (notably China) will resume their past growth rates by sometime in 2010, will help pull the globe out of recession, in turn dampening the downturn here. By then the US dollar will plummet again but domestic growth will return.

All in all, long term I think NetJets has it right in that, like Southwest at the airlines, it has a tortoise growth strategy rather than a hare strategy. And like SWA, it is the 800 pound gorilla in its industry best able to weather storms, no matter how hated they both are by competitors who pay the price. Just my two cents.

First of all ... there will not be any furloughs.

Aircraft are being delivered. When that changes ... lets talk again.

2nd.
People are working the 18 day schedule. When that changes ... lets talk again.

I don't see any reason for people to work that schedule while others are furloughed.

At least the 18 day you see some productivity, the 15 day is a mess from a productivity stand point.

Any scenario would require a vote, and I know a lot of people that aren't in a giving mood.

Before NJA even thinks about dumping guys they need to examine what their scheduling department is doing. Those guys piss away money like it’s going out of style. Don’t airline crews to planes that will be broken for several days, and don’t airline crews to a plane and then sit them in a hotel all tour or on standby every day. If they don't need crews out there have them sit stand-by at home until needed.

Look, I understand there is a cost of doing business and the cost of availability, but the waste that scheduling produces is enormous.

Is just another sign that he is losing the battle for Hearts and Minds, and he knows it.

Tick, tick Bob19, almost time to find a new place to practice your union busting trade.

Freedom is Not Free

I'm not a union buster but will accept your statement as a compliment.

You guys are the dummys that work for unions.

All the peace that the non-union fracs are dealing with right now is going to hang on for a while.

That "industry leading contract" that NJ has will create massive turmoil within a year while NJASAP is trying to dig themselves out of the whole they dug themselves into.

I'll be here to join the fun and to say "I told you so", just like I called the 3 years plus of turmoil at FLOPS and the lack of ability of 1108 to close the deal while the economy was good.

Now, the economy has bit the dust, pilots are getting laid off at FLOPS and they will be lucky to get any contract at all.

The sad part is, that with the union on the property for the last 3 years, FLOPS couldn't give them a pay or benefit increase even if the wanted to. But, the collective union is smarter than company leadership.

Latest resources

Back