NJA military friendly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, thanks.

After reading all the threads on NJA, it seems like the best deal going in commercial aviation right now. I always wanted to be an airline pilot, but seems like that would get boring after a short time. I actually was talking to another pilot in my squadron today about it and he said a buddy of his got hired on with a major and ended up leaving the major because he go soooo bored. Mabye not with SWA, but all the other airlines flying in the same airports day in and day out. What a drag...

Also, have you ever noticed most airline pilots look like they don't really like their job? Seems like the NJA folks like it alot!

Do you all hand fly approaches for the most part? Or are there SOPs that require autopilot use most of the time?

Do you all hand fly approaches for the most part? Or are there SOPs that require autopilot use most of the time?

In our fleet, the only time you're required to use the autopilot is above FL400 (to take advantage of the depressurization automatic descent feature). Other than that, have at it. The FOM recommends using the autopilot during high workload situations when the use of automation is appropriate.

But it drives me nuts sometimes watching guys twist knobs and push buttons using the autopilot on a visual approach down to a hundred feet. Grab the thing and drive for crying out loud!

Last edited:

I would say that every fleet has it's own 'flavor' regarding that. In my particular fleet the IP's and CA are strong advocates of pilots being equally proficient in both hand-flying and use of automation.

Latest resources

Back