• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are also planning on a second round next summer, according to a buddy there who is going to be in the bottom 200 after Jan. He is job hunting in expectation of the furlough.

No, just a well-written contract that makes it damn near impossible to downgrade someone.

I'm sure those being furloughed appreciate no captains being downgraded. :smash:

If you have too many first officers, then you probably have too many captains. If they downgraded, I wonder how many jobs that may have saved with the payroll deduction?

I wish the best for all those affected, one of which is a family member of mine.

I'm sure those being furloughed appreciate no captains being downgraded. :smash:

Since I can count the number between me and the first furloughed guy on my fingers, it doesn't really affect me either way.

If they downgraded, I wonder how many jobs that may have saved with the payroll deduction?
None at all. Flight demand is what drives the number of pilots we need to fly those airplanes. Whether the trips are flown with two captains or a captain and an FO, the number needed is the same. The salary difference is totally insignificant to everyone except the crewmember who'd be hosed in a downgrade.

I wish your family member good luck and a speedy return. I have a number of good friends in the same boat.

This must be very frustrating for the folks that paid their dues for years and got on with NJA with the idea they had finally found a permanent home. This should teach all of us that this career is and will always be precarious at best. I suppose a realistic person would choose a different vocation, especially if trying to support a family. I was raised by a professional pilot and would have thought I could have raised my family the same way, but I'm not so sure. Good luck to all.

Oops

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] NetJets To Furlough Nearly 500 Pilots
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Fractional provider NetJets late last week announced that it will furlough up to 495 pilots from its North American fractional operations, mostly from NetJets Aviation but also a “small number” from NetJets International, the division that flies Gulfstreams. The furloughs will take effect on January 15. “This difficult decision resulted from a comprehensive analysis of current and projected flight demand,” said NetJets chairman and CEO David Sokol. During an October 26 CNBC Squawk Box episode, Sokol said that NetJets “customer usage is off 15 to 20 percent. What we’ve had to do is get the cost structure in line with today’s economy and the needs of the owners. Our aircraft have to be revalued to current market values, and in many cases they’re down as much as 40 percent.” A spokeswoman for NJASAP (NetJets Association of Shared Aircraft Pilots) said the union is providing resources for affected pilots, including a dedicated Web site with furlough information and a list of unemployment benefits, as well as weekly teleconference calls for affected employees and their spouses. NJASAP president Mark Luthi said that NetJets is phasing out its Cessna Encore and Ultra fleets as they come off customer contracts. “How quickly they do that, I don’t know,” he told AIN.

link to interview

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33491407

Though times ahead ...

may the force be with you
[/FONT]

Sounds like he also has a chip on his shoulder:
"If you add up the market share of all the other 5 fractional companies, you don't have a meaningful second."
Doesn't each other company have approximately 10-15% market share? If I add them up, it's at least 50%. Jeez, I hope for his employees sake his math and and ego aren't similar to that of his predecessors.

On the way, bud. Keep your head down! ;)

TC

Where would an early 2003 guy stand on the seniority/equipment list? Just wondering about someone who went there around that time frame. Good luck to all who are effected by this.

Latest resources

Back