• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Downgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's the deal on 4/19 from sources as reliable as they get without talking to Sokol himself. DS wants more furloughs. Scheduling and the union are telling him it's not possible without major changes for the worse in coverage and service. NJA is staffed appropriately according to the people who analyze such things, but he still wants more blood and thinks we can improve efficiency to cover a couple hundred more furloughs.

In my opinion, DS is probably a decent CEO in his industry but doesn't understand the service business very well. It's cool to keep US Airways passengers or Walmart customers delayed or waiting in line due to staffing, but NJA owners will not put up with that. They pay a premium price to have well rested, gold tie pilots and coverage if their plane breaks and they should continue to receive a premium product. I think we are at the bare minimum staffing levels to provide that service right now. Further cuts will reflect in a degradation of service.

No it will be fine, because the owners will leave and the staffing levels will be correct. :confused:

I'm an early 06 hire and ever since the 495ers left the property have had my ass handed to me by scheduling. Last tour I had a five leg day with 1345 duty before we threw in the towel. On the 800xph no less. Granted I'm just one guy but this is approaching summer 07 workload. I'm of the opinion that they have overcut.

AMEN BROTHER!!! I am in the X and BUSTING MY BUTT to the point of FATIGUING. They need to bring back our brothers and NOT CUT MORE!

Not sure if this was already posted in this thread but there is apparently a meeting scheduled on April 19 between the union and company discussing staffing. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. At least it isn't on a Friday.

I'm thinking mgt isn't meeting with the union to tell them hiring is going to start at 100 per month.

Likely a required meeting via the CBA that mgt must first tell the union what the "number" is going to be....

What a bummer....

Here's the deal on 4/19 from sources as reliable as they get without talking to Sokol himself. DS wants more furloughs. Scheduling and the union are telling him it's not possible without major changes for the worse in coverage and service. NJA is staffed appropriately according to the people who analyze such things, but he still wants more blood and thinks we can improve efficiency to cover a couple hundred more furloughs.

In my opinion, DS is probably a decent CEO in his industry but doesn't understand the service business very well. It's cool to keep US Airways passengers or Walmart customers delayed or waiting in line due to staffing, but NJA owners will not put up with that. They pay a premium price to have well rested, gold tie pilots and coverage if their plane breaks and they should continue to receive a premium product. I think we are at the bare minimum staffing levels to provide that service right now. Further cuts will reflect in a degradation of service.

Nice Post!

AMEN BROTHER!!! I am in the X and BUSTING MY BUTT to the point of FATIGUING. They need to bring back our brothers and NOT CUT MORE!

I hope you are fatiguing then. Sounds like that's the only way the company may get the point that the pilot group can't physiologically handle more pilot cuts. Guys need to step up and have some balls. Write up broken aircraft (which sounds like is not happening), fatigue when tired, don't accept extended days, etc.

If they want to play hard ball the pilot group needs to step up to the plate. From reading the 411 that came out today it sounds like the love fest that the union and company have been having might be on the rocks. It's about damn time.

Last edited:
No everyone is not fatiguing. A lot of the captains at NJA are f'n wimps when it comes to fatigue. They are scared p#$ a$$es. Am I clear? Have flown with many a captains that talk a big game. When asked how many times they have fatigued in their 14+ years the answer is 0. Flew with a tool the other day who was all "I'm going to fatigue then!!!". When the fm told him he needed to tell the acp his attitude was "well, we'll just see how I feel at the hotel. ".. Of course I had to drop the f bomb while he enjoyed the extra show time at the hotel. He looked like the hero that could do 14/10's.. I looked like the moron who had to fatigue. It's about time the union has stopped suckling the companies' nuts and show some leadership.. then again voting is around the corner so I guess change has to take place..

Either way, guys need to stop flying fatigued and sick.. Take the time off and spend it with the family or enjoy the few extra hours at the hotel and lay by the pool.

Rant over..

NJA is becoming more of a joke with every day that passes...the more time that passes the more I hope not to have to come back....

Unless there is some major growth in the size of some of the pilots/union balls....

Now we know where the guaranteed profitability in 2010 will come from.

Latest resources

Back