• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry for a change of topic. I'm trying to get familiar with the Part 135 side of things:

What is the Part 135 weather minimum for an airport to qualify as an alternate? (E.g. Part 91 is 600 and 2 (ILS) and 800-2 (Non-Pre) Is it based on the 1 nav-aid/ 2nav-aid rule?

If the ceiling (but not visibility) is reported below min outside the FAF while the flight is under 135, can the app continue? What about under Part 91K? (e.g. OK under 121)

Thanks
As a pilot, 135 alternates need to be within the specified distance, engine out, calm air, etc... and 400' and 1 mile or 200' and 1/2 to the higher of each mins using the one nav aid / two nav aid rule.
So if you have a LOC with 600' and 1/2 and a VOR with 450' and 1, and you use the two nav aid rule, your mins would be 800' and 1 1/2 (higher of the two mins 600' plus 200' and 1 plus the 1/2). Suitability of runway for wind direction also comes in to play and should always be on your mind no matter if it is required or not.

Visibility is the controling factor in your example.

91 and 91k visibility can be below mins prior to the FAF and you can still shoot the approach. (go take a look situation)

135 you must have required visibility prior to the FAF to start the approach. If it drops below after the FAF you can continue the approach.

If RVR is reported, it is always controling. It would also be hard to plead a case that you had inflight visibility when RVR is reported below mins. Good to keep in mind if you ever think you can "sneak it in".

Op Specs vary from the regs. When in doubt FOM / OP SPECS first then and FAR / AIM.

Fly Safe:)

Last edited:
As a pilot, 135 alternates need to be within the specified distance, engine out, calm air, etc... and 400' and 1 mile or 200' and 1/2 to the higher of each mins using the one nav aid / two nav aid rule.

I assume that you are referring to Takeoff Alternates. I thought that the Engine Out was taken into account for the T/O Alt., but NJs teaches that it is Both Engines running. And I am too lazy to look it up in the FARs/AIM.

Engine out scenarios don't apply in destination alternates; only takeoff alternates.

If your point of departure is above takeoff minimums, but below landing minimums, you need a takeoff alternate which is within one hour flight of flight in still air with engine out.

For destination alternate:

To use 400-1:

You need at least 1 approach to 1 runway. You add 400-1 to the "best" approach to derive your alternate mins

To use 200-1/2:

You need at least 2 approaches to 2 suitable runways (could be the same piece of concrete i.e. 9-27), and you add 200-1/2 to the "second best" approach to derive your alternate minimums.

If your situation "qualifies" for 200-1/2 and you get better alternate mins by doing 400-1.... you can choose which rule you'll go by.

Engine out scenarios don't apply in destination alternates; only takeoff alternates.

If your point of departure is above takeoff minimums, but below landing minimums, you need a takeoff alternate which is within one hour flight of flight in still air with engine out.

Since we have hijacked this thread, lets try and clarify this.

My NJs FOM 2.7.8 states

No NJA flight may takeoff under IFR from an airport where weather conditions are at or above takeoff minimums, but are below authorized IFR landing minimums, unless there is an alternate airport within 1 hour's flying time (all engines operating, at normal cruising speed, in still air) of the airport of departure.

...The reason I bring this up, is I got this question wrong during the interview written exam, and I question the interviewers during the interview. During the recurrent exams, I just bite my tongue and answer it the way they want it answered.

note...I checked the FARs, and it does not specify anything about the engines, just "at normal cruising speed, in still air".

Last edited:
I love this, a guy asked about leaving a corp. gig for NetJets, and 4 posts later we are talking about T/O alts.

According to FAR135.225 No pilot may begin an instrument approach to an airport unless: 2) The latest weather report issued by that weather reporting facility indicates that weather conditions are at or above the authorized IFR landing minimums for that airport.

This is different from FAR 121, where specifically it mentions the Visibility must be better than the reported mins for that approach.

Does that mean under 135, the pilot must have the ceiling and the visibility to start an approach? It would be greatly appreciated if someone can check the NJ FOM. I think other potential interviewees would appreciate this, thanks.

To my own defenses on hijacking this thread, the original poster himself said that and I quote "The only question is whether I can get by on an FO's pay". First, only he knows IF he can afford it, nobody else on the chatboard knows. Second, the pay thing has been hammered to death, pilotpaycentral's numbers are correct, plus 5-10% OT. I think we have answered his only question :)-

Last edited:
The way I was taught takeoff alternates:

Part 121=engine out. Part 91(K) and Part 135=all engines operating.

To my own defenses on hijacking this thread, the original poster himself said that and I quote "The only question is whether I can get by on an FO's pay". First, only he knows IF he can afford it, nobody else on the chatboard knows. Second, the pay thing has been hammered to death, pilotpaycentral's numbers are correct, plus 5-10% OT. I think we have answered his only question :)-

Yeah. The surviving on FO pay was kinda thetorical - (only I know the answer to that). ;)

Interesting change in topic though.

Let me try and take charge of my thread and ask a DIFFERENT, relevant question:

A previous poster talks about alternate mins being on the interview written. So I ask, what should I be studying to get ready for a NJA interview?

Should I take an interview prep kind of course, or what?

Thanks!

Yeah. The surviving on FO pay was kinda thetorical - (only I know the answer to that). ;)

Interesting change in topic though.

Should I take an interview prep kind of course, or what?

Thanks!

First off....the money. Can you get by with about $70,000? Remember that the insurance is free, and you will make an extra $500/month in perdiem. Upgrades are very slow. I think as a 5yr FO, you will be close to $90,000 (with all the extras throw in).

As far as interview prep...I went in totally unprepared. It was a last minute thing. I breezed thru the written test, missing 4 0f 25 (I think). Took maybe 2 minutes to do the test.

If they ask you why you want the job, dont say "because your flight department is closing", or "I lost my airline job due to age 65". Tell them that you really want to work here. If they ask about how you dealt with the passengers problems, dont say "I let the FA or FO deal with them".

Its not that difficult. I have talked to some of the interviewers, and they say that some guys just dig their own grave with stupid answers.

Good luck.

I think as a 5yr FO, you will be close to $90,000 (with all the extras throw in).

Really? Man, I didn't think the pay went up hardly at all until you change seats. That's encouraging.

As for the rest - thanks. Sounds pretty straightforward. Everyone says that safety and customer service is top priority at NJA. That being the ase, I am hoping that my experience as a 91 pilot, flying VIP's and the CEO around will gie me some kind of advantage.

How important are letters of recommendation?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back