• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One other question. In the packet I recieved there is a list for the bases and the order you want them. I know under the current contract Dallas would be the closest base and I can't say I want to move to the others. Under the new contract there will be 3 choices near me. Do you think I am screwing myself by only putting Dallas as a choice? Did most of you put those other bases also? I would do it if I could jumpseat but I know that is out the window once I quit the airlines. I just dont want to screw myself before that new contract comes out and those other bases open. "If it passes"

thanks

One other question. In the packet I recieved there is a list for the bases and the order you want them. I know under the current contract Dallas would be the closest base and I can't say I want to move to the others. Under the new contract there will be 3 choices near me. Do you think I am screwing myself by only putting Dallas as a choice? Did most of you put those other bases also? I would do it if I could jumpseat but I know that is out the window once I quit the airlines. I just dont want to screw myself before that new contract comes out and those other bases open. "If it passes"

thanks

Fill it out as if IBB doesn't pass. If you will accept any of the other 4 besides DAL, put it down as acceptable to you. If not, put down only DAL.

Currently, the domicile or domiciles that you indicate that you'll accept does drive the timing of the interview. I knew someone who wanted LAX earlier this year and he went from submitting his resume to job offer in under 3 months. And there are stories of people around here waiting 6-12 months or more for places like PBI and DAL.

But I do believe the whole dumb-a-cile issue is a moot point in about 2 weeks. (The IBB vote count is 11/20).

So you think after it passes they will be asking everyone to fill out another one? I just didn't want to get thrown into the Dallas only pile and left to rot for a year. If the new TA passes there are about 5 bases I could choose from.

I guess if it does pass they would just call everyone due to the fact there is a base near everyone

So you think after it passes they will be asking everyone to fill out another one? I just didn't want to get thrown into the Dallas only pile and left to rot for a year. If the new TA passes there are about 5 bases I could choose from.

I guess if it does pass they would just call everyone due to the fact there is a base near everyone

When it passes send Derrinda an email to update your application. I've been waiting for PBI and have sent updates. She has been very responvise.

Getting in touch with DM is a good idea. She can tell you exactly what you'll need to do.

My guess would be that the company will just ignore the domicile preferences as they won't matter under the IBB proposal. Remember, under IBB, you'll be able to change your Crew Base every 30 days or so at your discretion - no bidding, no waiting for an opening, etc. So I believe that will make the dumb-a-cile selection in your app package a moot point.

When I was hired in 2004, there were something like 24 or 26 domiciles. During the application process, I don't recall having to do anything other than tell the company what domicile I would use. When I moved several months after starting, I simply filled out a change of address form. So I think given that IBB will rather mirror that process, I really don't think the company will have you re-select your preferred Crew Base if IBB is ratified.

But just ask DM and get the straight answer.

Last edited:
Great thanks again for the quick response. It is driving me crazy I want to send my application in but have to wait 5 business days to get a copy of my drivers record. I have never had to wait before. I guess here in Texas they can only send it to you through the mail, they will not print it out at the DMV !!! I had everything else ready in the envelope to send after I picked it up today. Waiting another week will probably put me behind nudreds of people !!

Can anyone explain the new 15 day flex schedule that is proposed?

Pretty straightforward: You'll work 15 days out of the month. You won't know which days are workdays until the night before -- as with the other schedules, you'll get a briefing by 6pm the day prior to your first day on your Blackberry with a show time. If one doesn't come, you call in to confirm that you are indeed off the next day. If you're off, you're off -- there's no situation where you're on-call but not on-duty here. Repeat the next night.

There are no hard days or any kind of scheduled days off on this schedule, unless you bid for a PTO (paid time off) day.

If they do call you out for a tour, it's a maximum of 5 days long. After the last day, you'll have a minimum of 3 days off. (So if you finish on a Monday, you won't have to bother checking the pager until Thursday evening.)

For a first-year pilot, it pays $5688 a year more for that flexibility to the company.

Hope that helps.

Can anyone explain the new 15 day flex schedule that is proposed?

The company will be able to use you for up to 15 days in a schedule month. Tours will be up to a maximum of 5 days and with a minimum of 3 days off between tours, regardless of the length of that tour. The Flex schedule will pay 10% more than the regular 7/7 schedule. That schedule also works 2 days less in a year: the Flex is 180 work days over a year while the 7/7 is 182.

The Flex will encompass 10% of the pilots in a given fleet/seat combination. That means that if enough pilots don't volunteer for it, the Flex can be junior-assigned.

There are some potential drawbacks to the Flex. Perhaps the greatest one is that you have no way to get guaranteed days off without using PTO days. It could be a challenge just to accomplish something like an FAA medical if you don't know what days you'll have off. And unlike the IBB rules for the 18-day Reserve schedule, you won't have a set schedule so you'll have to get in contact with the company before any non-required day off to determine if the following day is a work day or not.

I hope that answers your question.

Latest resources

Back