• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ contract extension

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a new hire at NetJets and can't wait to get started (yes i'm drinking the coolaid but after two regionals what else are you gonna do.) ...

Congratulations! Leaving the regionals must feel like coming in from the cold. I don't see anything wrong with your enthusiasm at all. The Company and the Union have worked hard together to make NJ a good career choice. Going forward, I think the pilots of both halves of the Company will be able to accomplish an integration based on fairness and professionalism. There is a lot of common ground to focus on. If we all (pilots and families) start fresh with a good attitude that we are all part of the same company and are one pilot group things will go much smoother. I think after the NJA pilots set up the in-house union (cards returned justify confidence) that integration should be the next big project. I agree with Willy--why wait?

GSD, is the NJI side ready to start? Are there any time restrictions for you guys that we're unaware of? I also agree with your point that since the NJA pilots consider it to be a single carrier that they must recognize date of hire as the fair solution. Willy is adjusting just fine so I think others can too, but the earlier the better, don't you think? Providing that we allow time for the new tie to be designed, of course. ;) You are going to volunteer for the uniform committee aren't you, GSD...:)

Last edited:
) You are going to volunteer for the uniform committee aren't you, GSD...:)

NJW,

With the interest and understanding of contractual language that GSD is displaying, it would be good to see GSD involved in more then the uniform committee. ;)

IDEtoNJA

Certainly, IDE, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate his fashion sense. :p GSD and I had a nice conversation about uniforms and ties. As soon as we come up with a new tie design that represents the friendly merger he can be off to other projects. After all I recruited him first...;)
In all seriousness, I have no doubt that there are talented pilots on the I side that may be willing to serve on NJASAP committees. I'm confident they will be welcomed and their participation encouraged. NJW

Why does date of hire suck? The argument has always been "NJI shouldn't be separate, we all work for the same company." Well then, we all got hired by the same company 13, 10, 8, or however many years ago. You can't have it both ways.
We can't, but you can, right? If you're going to rely on that argument, then very few of the NJI guys would be able to hold G slots, and should be flushed into the NJA fleet system. To keep your current seat and pay protection, AND have DOH sucks.

Grumpy, that's a good response to a legitimate issue. Obviously, there are some sticky details to be worked out. Leaders from both sides will need to concentrate on finding the best solutions. The best being those that offer the most fairness, overall, and establish unity going forward, IMO. While growing pains may be inevitable, I think a good attitude from all involved will go a long way toward a smooth process. NJW

We can't, but you can, right? If you're going to rely on that argument, then very few of the NJI guys would be able to hold G slots, and should be flushed into the NJA fleet system. To keep your current seat and pay protection, AND have DOH sucks.

The EB signed the LOA guaranteeing seat, pay, and DOH because they understood a system flush would cost the company in excess of $25 million in re-training and they understood DOH was the only way to prevent "difficulties" in any future integration. A quote from an NJA union official I call a friend: "The last thing we want is 300 pissed off pilots in our union."

NJW, the issue is completely out of our hands. The imminent decision to boot the Truckers will soften a great deal of the resistance among the rank and file but we are all waiting for the Boss to make his decision and I don't expect him to decide until after the November elections.

As to union work, carts do better when pulled than when pushed if you get my meaning. ;)

Some things are hard to swallow, but more often than not, the medicine that is the best for you often tastes the worst.

Truth is, GSD is 100% right. This isn't a merger. It's an integration. If our argument is that we've been one company all along, than DOH seniority integration is really the ONLY way to proceed.

The pilots at NJI are a class act. I've only met one in over 11 years that was a bit of a d*ck. All the others have been friendly, helpful, and professional. Once you've spent a little time with them, you'll realize that they are actually getting the worse part of the deal. Most don't want to be part of the union. And RTS has told them one thing, but proceeded down a different path than what they were told to expect (sound familiar?). And they have no union, so they're basically just along for the ride. Makes them a bit powerless, and probably somewhat worried and angry. We wouldn't be doing ourselves any favors if we then said we're gonna fight tooth and nail to staple them onto the bottom of the list. Wouldn't make for a very unified group.

We've never had a quarrel with the PILOTS at NJI. It has always been with RTS. The pilots didn't lie to us all those years ago, RTS did. The pilots didn't make us promises and then welch on them, RTS did.

I'm pretty senior at NJA, but with DOH integration, I'd still be pushed back about 40 numbers (although my actual RELATIVE seniority may actually improve!). I'm not worried about NJI pilots bidding in front of me for Falcon 2000's, but it could put me back years if we get 7X's or even SSBJ's. Still, it's a very small price to pay for the security and unity the integration will bring.

Now, if we were to actually MERGE with a whole other company I would be singing a different tune. But in this case, I really and truly believe DOH integration is completely fair.

The EB signed the LOA guaranteeing seat, pay, and DOH because they understood a system flush would cost the company in excess of $25 million in re-training and they understood DOH was the only way to prevent "difficulties" in any future integration. A quote from an NJA union official I call a friend: "The last thing we want is 300 pissed off pilots in our union."

NJW, the issue is completely out of our hands. The imminent decision to boot the Truckers will soften a great deal of the resistance among the rank and file but we are all waiting for the Boss to make his decision and I don't expect him to decide until after the November elections.

As to union work, carts do better when pulled than when pushed if you get my meaning. ;)

GSD,

You have nailed it!

Though, a system flush bid may cost the Company well in excess of $25 million. A true system flush bid will create movement beyond the Gulfstream realm. In addition to displacements within the Gulfstream ranks, it would create displacements among all PIC ranks -- starting with the more junior Falcon PIC's. This in turn would create a trickle down effect to all pilots on the overall system seniority list.

The overall satisfaction within the pilot ranks would very likely be in peril -- not just the satisfaction among the Gulfstream pilots.

Good to hear that you are not opposed to pulling the cart! ;)

IDEtoNJA

You asked why it sucks, and I told you. Your argument, when completely carried out, results in a system flush for true fairness. I never said a system flush is the answer, nor is a staple job. But DOH in addition to your seat and pay protection is not exactly what I would call completely fair to the NJA side. I guess it's better to have 2800 irritated pilots than 300 pissed ones?

You asked why it sucks, and I told you. Your argument, when completely carried out, results in a system flush for true fairness. I never said a system flush is the answer, nor is a staple job. But DOH in addition to your seat and pay protection is not exactly what I would call completely fair to the NJA side. I guess it's better to have 2800 irritated pilots than 300 pissed ones?

Ultra Grump,

What other solution would you recommend? How would you avoid a system flush bid without the seat and pay protection provisions of LOA 01-013; while maintaining DOH integration?

The way I read LOA 01-013, the seat and pay protection provisions only guarantee said protections as long as the affected pilot remains in her/his seat and fleet.

Being on the NJA side of the "fence," the only potential issue that I can see is if a Gulfstream pilot is being paid a higher salary then the one enacted in the CBA.

IDEtoNJA

Latest resources

Back