Nippon Air Cargo B747

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FearlessFreep said:
From what I have heard the physical is pretty complete. It is not that you have to be a Superman it is just that there can be absolutely no variance in their findings - you have to fit the mold. For instance, the minimum resting pulse that you can have is 50 BPM. If you are very fit, your resting pulse can be lower than this value. So you can be a world class athlete say a jogger, have a resting pulse rate lower than 50 BPM, may have a slight bit of blood in your urine (not unusual for runners) and you will FLUNK the physical because your readings are out of tolerance.

From what I have heard the physical is based on the typical japanese physiology and as such some Westerners that are in excellent physical condition still may not pass.

The JCAB Initial medical exam is normally taken by the Japanese pilots when they are in their 20's, the average Non-Japanese pilot takes the Initial JCAB medical exam when they are in their 40's.

The standards for the JCAB medical renewal exam are not as strict as the Initial one. Some of the Japanese pilots in their 40's would not be able to pass the initial exam & have trouble with the renewal exam.....

We used to suggest the pilots to take a pre-medical exam and used to give the pilots the highs/lows they way they knew if there was going to be any problems or not.

Que? Was? Quoi?

Midnight Mike said:
The Japanese can smell "phony" a while away, so don't try it, unless you are familar with the customs. Normally the Japanese are picky when it comes to time in type, but, perhaps things have changed.

70% failure rate? Sounds like something written on the PRUNE website.

:confused: :confused: Not sure whether this is directed at me or even what you mean by it. There is nothing in my previous posts to even suggest that I am trying to do anything underhand, why would I? I'm sorry, I don't understand.
I'm already aware that the Japanese are picky and all I'm trying to do is get an angle on what is involved. Due diligence if you like. In my view, interviews are a two way process - you have to see whether you would want to work for an organization as well as they selecting those who fit their mold, profile, call it what you will. As for time in type, you don't need it! That's what the app said and I don't think they (the agency) would have sent me one if I did not meet the bare mins......... I do have the type rating, some time in type and plenty of international experience. In addition, I have worked for several international carriers, so am familiar with the various cultures. Currently, I am a contract pilot flying worldwide cargo but looking for a more stable lifestyle and this contract seems to fit the bill. There's absolutely nothing phony about that, I can assure you!
Like most people on this board and thread, I have heard a lot of stories and I have also done my homework. Yes, I read pprune occasionally but don't assume that's all I read. Try aviationinterviews.com You'll find plenty of "stories" from regular US pilots that have experienced the Japanese selection process and you don't have to look far to see where the hurdles are. Even if the figure of 70% is not accurate, the "failure" rate is still very high - by American standards. And, as the saying goes, there's no smoke without fire.
I had a friend (ex-HAL) who tried getting on with JalWays last year and he made it all the way to the Mayo clinic only to find that he had "flunked" the physical. Apparently it costs around $3000 a pop to do this medical, so they must have money to burn. Why not do it right up-front instead of after the interview/sim eval?
There are probably subtle differences between JalWays, Air Japan and NCA but essentially the selection process and training are the same.
In conclusion, I'm doing what every other pilot seeking a better position would and is doing. Trying to harness some information and advice on what is involved and what the chances are. Funny, the agencies don't even mention the initial JCAB medical or what it involves. They push the terms and conditions only. When important decisions are to be made, it's vital to have as much information as possible. I'm going into this with an open mind and no pre-conceived ideas. The question is, are they up-front and honest or do they have a hidden agenda. So far, it's hard to tell but I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.
I hope I have read you wrong and any other snippets of info would still be appreciated.

b757driver

I simply meant that it was not necessary to take a class to learn the customs, or bow during an interview, that's all.

I worked for NCA for about 5 years, and the pilots that walked into th interview and bowed, did not make it to the next part of the interview.

Latest resources

Back