• Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Great story, 91

I think that I cursed myself by reading this thread as I found out that I'll be doing a CDO line in September.

"Camping trips" - unofficial name at Mesa

(Because everyone brings a pillow from home to sleep in the back of the plane during our 3 hour sit at an out station at O-dark-thirty)

Per union rules, they can only be scheduled to max 1400 duty day. I'm not kidding when I tell you that they're mostly scheduled at 13:59 hrs! And sits more than 4 hours at night = mandatory hotel, so our longest sit is usually . . . 3:59 hrs!

Last edited:
Yeah said:
We called them stand-ups at ACA. Why do you call them highspeeds?

I think this goes back to the days that Mesaba had Metroliners. They have a prop selection called "high speed", which will give you an extra 10-15 knots, and a noisy ride.

Called stand-ups by management, called bend-overs by the crews. Oh, and once upon a time at an airline long, long since defunct, we called 'em Night Riders. Don't know why.

Last edited:
At Colgan we call them, well, getting colgan'd.

Since we are outbased, the only way this happens is when we do a plane swap at a maintenance base at the end of our normal flying day and things go wrong (my favorite is when you know your supposed to pick up aircraft X, you ask the mechanics when aircraft X will be ready, and they laugh at you. Or special permit a broke-ass plane into a maintenance base and never get out. Then it's off to the Radisson for 8 hrs.

As soon as you are in this situation, get the "serenity now" mantra going, do not call the mother ship, and become a sociologist. Observe human behavior. Note the dysfuntion.

Bend overs.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back