Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleepy

Living The Dream!
This guy makes some pretty good points for you airline types.

Airline workers sick of getting unfair share

By KEVIN DONOVAN
Published on: 12/31/04 A recent behavioral study demonstrated that animals understand and react to the concept of fairness. In the study, monkeys were given unequal rewards for completing equal tasks. The result was groundbreaking. The monkey receiving the lesser of the two rewards ceased participation in the activity after observing the unfair treatment.

The implications for the corporate world are noteworthy, especially for those who are unable to connect the dots between the value of fairness and the consequences encountered by many thousands of holiday travelers when US Airways was forced to cancel hundreds of flights.

Kevin Donovan, a former Delta Air Lines manager, lives in Decatur.
[font=arial, helvetica]EMAIL THIS[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica]PRINT THIS[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica]MOST POPULAR[/font]
1pix_trans.gif
The struggle of executives to "transform" their enterprises into viable businesses rarely grasps the importance of fairness as an essential component of their transformation.

It must first be pointed out that there is a critical difference between loyal employees and lifelong employees. Whereas the latter have only a financial stake in the company and may fill out their days to retirement by just showing up, loyal employees have a personal stake and will do everything in their limited power to help the corporation succeed.

Most workers have a deep and sincere desire to like who they work for, to be aligned with the goals of their company and to ward off any dissonance between why they get up to go to work every morning and what they want out of life. If the condition of fairness is eliminated, the unseen erosion of loyalty will be set in motion, and because fairness is a dichotomous concept — something is either fair or unfair and nothing in between — this erosion can occur rather swiftly.

Consider almost any front-line worker in the commercial airline industry. In a service industry such as this, each employee makes many hundreds of unsupervised, seemingly minor decisions each day on behalf of their company and each decision is in small part a projection of their relationship with their company.

For instance, if I am a lifelong baggage handler who normally unloads a 4:30 p.m. flight before I leave work at 5 p.m., I will not be there if the flight is late and arrives at 5:05 p.m. But if I am a loyal baggage handler, my personal stake transcends my financial stake and I will be there to finish the job because I care about my company and its customers (which, by extension of my stake in the company, become my customers).

If executives are getting paid bonuses independent of tangible performance (i.e. profitability), and baggage handlers are being laid off even when they exhibit loyal behavior that is above and beyond the call of duty, it is not a stretch for the worker to believe that exemplary performance on his part is more likely to reward the executive than the baggage handler. Add to that the realization that their CEO is probably getting paid around 400 times more than the baggage handler and it suddenly becomes very hard to stay past 5 p.m.

In the case of US Airways, hundreds of employees made an unsupervised decision to call in sick on Christmas Day — a decision that they were legally entitled to make but one that reveals the destruction of their personal stake in the success of their company or a belief in its long-term viability. The Trojan horse of severed loyalty arrived in Philadelphia right behind Santa and his reindeer.

What to do? It is very simple: Align the objectives of your highest-level worker (i.e. your CEO) with that of your lowest-level worker (i.e. your baggage handler), and your company will succeed. Cap executive compensation at a reasonable multiple of the average employee salary and tie it to that through thick and thin.

If one gets a pay cut, they all get a pay cut. If one gets a bonus, they all get a bonus. It is not just profit sharing — it is loss sharing as well. Flush out the perks (stock options, helicopter rides, corporate apartments, etc.) and build them into the visible total compensation so that everybody shares both the pain and the wealth. Pep rallies, sloganeering and silly morale building initiatives will not do it; there must be substantial and perceived fairness, in the simple form of a shared stake in the success or failure of the corporation.

Difficult? Oh, yes. This is challenging and some would say unrealistic. But it is not impossible, and in fact for some companies it will be the only alternative to the once unrealistic option of bankruptcy.

The recent proclivity of corporate leaders to move in lock step has imposed a thick wall of inertia against change, but done correctly, this simple act of mandating fairness will change the DNA of the company, inoculating the enterprise against the insidious effects of lost loyalty. More importantly, it is a tangible demonstration of long-term investment, something the holy triad of stakeholders — customers, employees and investors — all desire now more than ever.

Even the monkeys would approve.

The article holds too much truth to be taken seriously.

Since it is so reasonable, it must be the ramblings of a mad man.

Sad, isn't it. We, who understand this kind of logic, are swept under by all the stakeholders who will say "no" simply because their personal greed holds the chance of "winning".

That's the kind of logic that built the economy we enjoy today. The Harvard MBA bean-counters have destroyed that idea and it's been every man for himself in the corporate HQ's for the past 20 years.

Despite a few examples of how treating your employees fairly leads to great success, the MBA'ers keep on their same old track--taking bonuses and blaming the employees for the company's failures.

Oh well, nice article anyway.TC

SWA figured this out 30 years ago. Egalitarism. In the new airline industry, the dinosaurs legacy carriers will dissolve and the old school CEOs will go away (with thier millions). The new CEO's, the egalitarians, will emerge. The competitive edge will be productivity. Getting the most out of your workers. And to do this, companies will have to be loyal to thier employees....

Adapt or die.....

If you want to lead, you must serve; and the leader of all is the servant of many.

Worked for JC; works today. In times of trouble, you can do worse than go back to basics like that.

That explains more about how buisness (airline) should be run than all the MBA courses combined. I wish it could be understood by the pointy headed elietists in management. Sorry to say that that concept is WAY over their heads.

AA717driver said:
Despite a few examples of how treating your employees fairly leads to great success, the MBA'ers keep on their same old track--taking bonuses and blaming the employees for the company's failures.

Actually, I have noticed that MBA'ers love to take the credit when things are good. But when things go bad, those same MBA'ers will suddenly say its not their fault, it's labor, it's the economy, it's oil prices, yada yada yada. When it became obvious that Delta would not turn a profit in 02, Delta management changed all their contracts so that the bonuses were no longer tied to profits, but were instead tied to cost cuts. Isn't that peachy.

Funny thing is, my Dad and my brother are both upper management in their companies. Both have told me that management should recieve bonuses for cutting costs, even if they cut the pay and benefits of labor. That's the kind of people we are dealing with folks. It's all about them.

michael707767 said:
Funny thing is, my Dad and my brother are both upper management in their companies. Both have told me that management should recieve bonuses for cutting costs, even if they cut the pay and benefits of labor. That's the kind of people we are dealing with folks. It's all about them.
Soooooooo, things pretty quiet when you all sit down for Thanksgiving dinner, or do the cops have to come break it up ?

While I agree with the crux of the article here are some thoughts/questions:

Any ideas on what kinds of "performance based" compensation package can be implemented with the Seniority System still in place. Because many in management would argue that the seniority system itself is contrary to any performance based compensation package (as most raises are based on seniority i.e. just showing up to the job and making it through the day).

Stock options are an alternative. But everytime that comes up the failed ESOP at United is remembered.

Lifelong and Loyal employees -- the article assumes that most employees start off as loyal employees and then turn into lifelong employees. In my experience I have seen otherwise. For example: Delta FAs. They weren't too loyal ten years ago and certainly treated passengers in the same manner. In fact it can be argued there is more loyalty now amongst the FAs when they have realized that this is not a lifetime gig!

There are a lot of comments on this board that highlight problems with airlines. What about solutions -- that is clear tangible solutions. For example: a better business plan and improving morale is NOT a solution. Lets have ideas on what is the better business plan (more international flying -- that's being done; raise fares on routes -- has been tried, not viable; renegotiate leases -- being done; improve morale -- how?) Anyone have any ideas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back