Nice Landing!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scopeCMRandASA said:
Was there something wrong with that approach?

--a concerned regional pilot

Check out the IGS into rwy 13. RWY 13 IGS . You shoot what is basically an ILS that is aligned about 40 degrees off of runway centerline down a mountain canyon. When you reach your DH (at about a 1.75 mile final) you roll into 30+ degrees of bank to make the 40 degree turn to runway centerline. The "checkerboard" is a visual reference painted on the side of a mountain that you will run into if you delay in makeing the turn. Throw in some mountain/ocean winds and things really get interesting.

DoinTime said:
Check out the IGS into rwy 13. RWY 13 IGS . You shoot what is basically an ILS that is aligned about 40 degrees off of runway centerline down a mountain canyon. When you reach your DH (at about a 1.75 mile final) you roll into 30+ degrees of bank to make the 40 degree turn to runway centerline. The "checkerboard" is a visual reference painted on the side of a mountain that you will run into if you delay in makeing the turn. Throw in some mountain/ocean winds and things really get interesting.

I know, I was trying to be funny. There goes that career!!

--a concerned regional pilot

What were the....

What were the pilots sitting on the taxi way saying?

Oh $hit....HAHAHAHa
Or

Go around, GO AROUND, Holy $hit

I always wanted to fly that approach but they shut the airport down.(They are getting rid of all the good airports guess because of the substandard pilots.....:D ) The closest I ever came was my daughter ridding in on a 747 with a window seat. I told her about the approach before she left for Hong Kong. She said they were so close to the mountain you could see the kids waving from off the hill at the airplane as it made the turn to final.

I had the pleasure of flying into Kai Tak numerous times during my highschool/college years. I'd make sure I had a window seat on the right-hand side of the plane everytime, just in case we made that approach. (Which luckily was most of the time.) It was worth being pinned in for 15 hours just for that. I remember looking out the window and seeing people on their balconies doing laundry during the turn to final. Felt like I could have reached out and grabbed it. In-freaking-credible! I gradually watched them building the new airport/island/bridges over the course of my visits but haven't been back since the new airport opened. I can't imagine a trip to Hong Kong is anywhere near as exciting now without that great beginning.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back