• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nextant Beechjet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey there jet2work...You've been in this business a long time... if I've got you figured out. And while I don't argue with you're premise I want to challenge the wisdom of "G/S or VASI to minimums, increase the VSI, re-establish a stabilized path to a runway spot 800' closer with ceiling and visibility complicating the maneuver."

Is that really how you want to get more comfortable with the data?

caseyd

Like I said, not the smartest or safest thing to be doing. But let's look again at real world example: Teterboro. Landing on 19. In the grand scheme of things, all you are doing is reducing your threshold crossing height from 50 feet, to something closer to zero. I would much rather explain to an FAA inspector why I touched down just past the displaced threshold, than to an accident investigator, why I ran off the runway (like more than one professional pilot has done at TEB).

In any case, it does not appear to be in violation of the FAR's to cross the threshold at a height less than 50ft. If the AFM numbers say the runway is sufficient, then reducing your threshold crossing height will decrease your actual landing distance. There are some that will argue (I won't) that a steeper approach will yield a shorter landing distance than a shallower one. If you were inclined to fly a steeper angle to the runway, I would guess that you would be talking less than 2 tenths of a degree difference, certainly within the parameters of a "stabilized approach"

Just to be clear, I am not advocating that this is some industry best practice, but I don't think it is reckless or illegal.

Last edited:
One more point to be made about this runway. The runway is 4577 ft long with a displaced threshold for landing on RWY28. If he landed on RWY10 the whole length is useable. Did the article state which runway he landed on? If not, this discussion seems much ado about nothing. Even if he did land on 28, that's his business not mine.

Latest resources

Back