Next years numbers at SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA Classes

A friend just got out of grnd school. The word was 2 classes of 20 for the first 4 months of 03, then 600 in 04. Hope it's true!

2003 Classes

Just finished some training in PHX with a dallas instructor. This guy pretty much runs the training show down there, so is probably pretty reliable....
He says first new hire class is Monday Jan 6th, planning for 20 but can go to 26 in pairs of two. Also, two classes every month for the first quarter is what they are planning for as long as nothing crazy happens in the world. Hope this helps.

T45Flyer

From an objective standpoint, simply do the math. SWA hires 10 pilots per new plane, and in 2003 we are adding 12 or so planes to the fleet, above retiring a few. So 12 x 10 = 120 pilots just to fill the new jets. Add on 63 retiring Captains and we get 120+63=183 pilots minimum. Rarely do we go under our estimates. As for 600 in 2004, I'd say that was too high, maybe more like 400+ depending on how we take over the competitors routes. Remember, SWA doesn't want to jump in over its head and overextend itself, so things would have to be pretty incredible to go 600 in '04, but bet on more than 180 in '03. Flew with a Chief Pilot type recently and he told me about this site. There are 300+ guys in the pool and he said your rank order system is pretty close to on the money.

Chief pilot said in the lounge the other day 180+ for 03' This is his most recent number, but is most consistent with what Ive heard. He says 04' is going to see more retirements, more growth, and Id believe it from him, hes a straight shooter.

Things change daily around here. I would not be surprised one bit if the hiring for 03 was much higher. I also would not be surprised if we take advantage of other carriers cancelling options or not taking delievery at all. If we can capitalize on others misfortune we will. if the planes are cheap enough I think we will pounce on them.

Good luck to all

At this point who cares. As long as they hire some of you SWA cult members so that the rest of you will have some actual stuff to talk about instead of the ridiculous rumors that fly around here........ May the Southwest God smile upon you all and suck you into the fuzzy warm collective soon.........

Anyone have an idea of how many applications are on file with SWA, how many of those have the type rating, and the breakdown of mil vs civ? The People Dept told us 3600 a year ago, I'm sure it's more now.

I just heard a piece of the answer to my 3 -part question: 500 apps on file with the type rating. No word on civ/mil breakdown or how many total apps. Supposedly the pre-11/1/02 apps with no type are to be grandfathered. However, they probably won't be interviewed until after the type-rated folks. And, the interviews won't be first come first serve. They'll now be taken in order of best qualified first. Interviews are supposed to start 4th quarter 2003. All this info from the People Department reps who visited NAS Corpus Christi, TX on Nov. 21st. (I wasn't at the mtg, but a couple of guys I know were).

thebluto said:
Interviews are supposed to start 4th quarter 2003.

Wow. By that time my app. will have been on file for over a year-and-a-half. I've already sent a letter at the six-month mark reminding them I'm still interested, but at what point do I have to send in a new app? Or do I sight tight and assume I'm still in the system?

Jan Class Date

I'm sorry to report the following. I spoke to responsible folks in DAL today who said right now the company has chosen to plan for only 1 class in Jan right now, 6 Jan '03. I don't have any other info than that. Of course things can change quickly but hopefully we'll be back to two classes a month before too long. Speculating on why is for others but that's the news I heard today.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back