Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Anyone got anymore news on this accident today?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/29/aircraft.collision.ap/index.html

Pilot injured in crash during aerobatic display

YUKON, Oklahoma (AP) -- A small plane crashed Sunday while performing aerobatics, seriously injuring the pilot, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

Initial reports that two planes collided were inaccurate, said FAA spokesman John Clabes. He said the plane appeared to have lost power.

"One person was seriously hurt, and he's still in the airplane," Clabes said Sunday afternoon.

The plane was performing aerobatics at the Clarence Page Municipal Airport west of Oklahoma City, he said.

Clabes said the plane was registered to a man from Lincoln, Nebraska, man, whose identity was not immediately available.

One member of the safety crew was fatally injured when he fell out of a pickup truck that was racing to the accident site. Sad day.

These were Formula One racers, which I believe aren't known for their docile behavior! They only have an O-200, but they aren't much bigger than a model airplane.

EagleRJ said:
One member of the safety crew was fatally injured when he fell out of a pickup truck that was racing to the accident site...
That IS sad!

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0505/232118.html

Plane Crashes At Oklahoma City Airport
Monday May 30, 2005 8:15am

Oklahoma City (AP) - The pilot of a plane that crashed at Clarence Page Municipal Airport in far west Oklahoma City remains in critical condition at an Oklahoma City hospital.

The man was flown by helicopter to O-U Medical Center after his plane went down while he was participating in air races at the airport Sunday afternoon. Officials haven't released his name, but the wife of one of the plane's owners says he is Steve Mountain of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Authorities also aren't releasing the name of the man who was killed as he and others rushed to the scene of the crash to help.

He apparently fell out of the back of a pickup truck and hit his head on the concrete.

Birgitta Nurmi, a spectator, says the man was a mechanic, but police aren't releasing details because the victim's family hasn't been notified.

Nurmi says she and another man performed C-P-R on the man but realized he had been badly injured. He died at the airport.

I've got some limited time in a Decathlon, and as required we always wear chutes when we go up. But I've often wondered if there's really any point to this. If a wing ripped off, I'd imagine we would be pinned inside and unable to jump out. Not really related, but just reminded me of this subject.

The news tonight (Omaha, NE), confirmed that it was Steve Mountain of Lincoln who was involved in the accident in Oklahoma. He is reportedly in serious, but stable condition. The aircraft invoved was an F1 racer - Miss Lynn (#59) that has competed at Reno for a few years now. Report says that the aircraft stalled while attempting to land. Sad to hear about the ground crew member.

Image:
http://www.if1airracing.com/images/RichardWallace/59 Miss Lynn Ed Bowes/

TB

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back