• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leftseat10

Here's the story:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050526/transport_ups_pilots.html?.v=3

Reuters
UPS, pilots wary as mediation set to end
Thursday May 26, 4:30 am ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - United Parcel Service Inc. and its pilots union are unlikely to resolve their 31-month-old contract dispute during a round of federally supervised mediation scheduled to conclude on Thursday, both parties said on Wednesday.

UPS spokesman Norman Black said the world's largest package delivery company would ask federal mediator Linda Puchala to schedule additional negotiating sessions as soon as possible. "We believe the mediator will do that," he said. "We have made progress at the table."

A spokesman for the union representing 2,500 UPS pilots said the union was disappointed with latest round of negotiations which have taken place over the past two weeks in Baltimore, Maryland.

While some ominous signs have emerged from the dispute -- such as this month's vote by the Independent Pilots Association demonstrating near-unanimous support for a strike -- both sides are bound to keep talking under a U.S. labor law that covers rail and air carriers.

Only if the National Mediation Board determines that talks have stalled, and asks both sides to enter mandatory arbitration, could the dispute head toward either a strike or management lock-out -- an outcome that could risk a serious disruption to the U.S. economy.

If either side were to reject arbitration, a 30-day "cooling-off period" would go into effect before a work stoppage became a possibility. Even then, the Bush administration could extend the imposed truce.

"It would be very dangerous for the national economy if a company that handles roughly 6 percent of the world's GDP stopped carrying packages," said Jim Corridore, an analyst with Standard & Poor's. Corridore said he expects the two sides to resolve the dispute without a work stoppage.

According to the union, there are five major issues in dispute: scheduling, pay, healthcare, pensions and "scope" -- a contract clause that governs when UPS can use non-company-owned planes.

UPS says its pilots are among the best-paid in the aviation industry with an average salary of $175,830. The company said it has offered to increase pilots' pay, though it has not said by how much.

Brian Gaudet, a spokesman for the pilots' union, said the pilots' average pay is around $168,000. He said the pilots are seeking increases in line with "market rates."

The pilots are also seeking increases in pensions as well as medical benefits coverage during the "bridge" period between the mandatory retirement age for a pilot, 60, and when federal benefits kick in. He added that he union is pleased with the progress the two sides have made on the scheduling issue.

The UPS spokesman declined to comment on the company's proposals for pensions and medical benefits.

While U.S. passenger airlines have been hurt by high fuel prices and competition from new entrants, cargo carriers UPS and FedEx Corp. have fared better. Both saw profits surge last year, with UPS's net income growing 15 percent in 2004 to $3.3 billion.

Though at an earlier stage, FedEx and its pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, are involved in contract negotiations of their own.

UPS and the Independent Pilots Association entered negotiations for a new contract in October 2002, and began federally-supervised mediation in August 2004.

Labor disputes have been costly to UPS in the past, as when a strike by the Teamsters union eight years ago cost the company as much as 6 percent of its normal daily volume. Black said UPS has yet to see any signs of its customers preparing alternative arrangements to deliver packages. "Our customers understand the process here," he said. Corridore, the Standard & Poor's analyst, said investors should not be concerned, for now. "If there was a perceived risk of a strike there would always be package divergence," he said. "Any time you expose your customers to your competition, there's a risk that some of those customers are not going to come back."

Is it realistic to count on a great new contract for the UPS guys and grils in the current state of the industry?
Wages are steadily reduced, pension are cancled, and the ACMI competition is ever increasing.

V1andgo said:
Is it realistic to count on a great new contract for the UPS guys and grils in the current state of the industry?

Let's see ... current state of the freight industry is RECORD PROFITS ($3.5 BILLION for UPS alone) ... FedEx posting very strong numbers .... both managements receiving pay increases (UPS low-mid level pilot managers rec''d from $50,000 - $100,000 in stock BONUSES! on top of their $200,000+ salary) ... but hey, it's time for the hourly worker bees to sacrifice. This is typical of UPS ... fatten management's pockets while squeezing the lowly hourly workers.

UPS is headed for a STRIKE! Huge amounts of VERY profitable air volume will be permanently diverted to FedEx and DHL. Look for the stock to head into the 40's when a "release from mediation" occurs (triggering the 30-day cooling off period prior to the strike).

BBB,

Understand what you are saying, but I'm sure mgt is all over V1andgo's argument, whether it makes sense or not. I hope you guys can get a good contract without a strike.

Big Beer Belly said:
Huge amounts of VERY profitable air volume will be permanently diverted to FedEx and DHL. Look for the stock to head into the 40's when a "release from mediation" occurs (triggering the 30-day cooling off period prior to the strike).

mmmm... you're getting me all tingly, BBB. Better kiss me if you're going to talk that way. :D

Big Beer Belly said:
UPS is headed for a STRIKE! Huge amounts of VERY profitable air volume will be permanently diverted to FedEx and DHL. Look for the stock to head into the 40's when a "release from mediation" occurs (triggering the 30-day cooling off period prior to the strike).

bad time to push the limits, IMHO. UPS has the money to weather a strike. They can also shift a lot of their cargo to ground transportation. Further, I bet there would be a lot of potential scabs who would love to get a job with UPS. After all, ALPA has already signaled that you can scab and all will be forgiven, right?

UPS and FedEx are the last remaining carriers that offer great pilot contract and a generous retirement plan. It is however questionable, if such compensation and benefit packages will stand the test of time.

In the past, the pax carriers set the benchmark for compensation and benefits. If I remember correctly, the unions of UPS and FedEx used the UAL, AA, and DAL contracts as a base to achieve their current contracts. But given the dramatic changes in the industry, is it not reasonable to believe contract negotiations at UPS and FedEx will be affected? If the benchmarks set by pax airlines helped in raising hourly wages and retirement benefits at the freight carriers, would the same logic hold true in reverse?

Although, freight companies do make boat loads of money. I seriously doubt that their executives are very eager to share these profits with their Pilots. With the airline industry in trouble and furloughed pilots all over the place, management will find willing and retain current employees, without increasing pay and/or benefits.

Additionally, the changes of the competitive environment in the freight industry will put further pressure on Pilot unions. One factor to consider is the aggressive move of DHL into the US market and their drive of global expansion. With DHL entering the US market and committing large amounts of resources to establish a ground operation, things are bound to change in the long-run. Domestically the future of freight appears to be on the ground and not in the air . The increased use of e-mail has stopped the growth of overnight express and may even cause this market sector to shrink. In fact, with the passage of the electronic signature bill in 1999 (if my memory serves me right), Banks, lawyers, mortgage companies, etc. conducted most of their business and legal documentation right over the net.

Apparently the future is in the large and ugly freight connected to Just-in-Time manufacturing and warehousing. Thus, the need of supply chain management and total logistical integration is increasing. Although the schedules are tight but with lead-times of 24 to 48 hours, a logistic operation such as FedEx Ground, UPS trucking, and the new DHL will be able to manage time versus cost in a manner that will increase ground transportation and reduce costs. Therefore, the domestic air operation will shrink in the long-term in comparison to less-costly transportation methods, such as truck and rail.

So, what can Brown do for you? Whatever it is that Brown does, the balk of it will be on the ground and involve logistic management, which is also the business sector for UPS and FedEx with the highest profit margins. These high margins may explain why DHL is putting so much effort into establishing a ground/logistic network. In my estimation, this is not the best bargaining position for any pilot union for negotiation.
Another aspect worth considering is the domestic use of ACMI. DHL is using two ACMI carriers in the domestic air freight sector to keep costs down. They simply play the A-Star guys against the ABX guys ---- steadily lowering the bar.

Will UPS and FedEx follow their example? Maybe someone could respond to the rumor that FedEx signed a long-term ACMI contract with Gemini for 6 DC10.

Some insist that a strong scope clause will prevent that from happening. But history shows it can be done. DHL did it despite a scope clause. They formed a holding company, split all operations into independent entities, sold and bought what they needed to operate a Ground ops., and then offered ACMI contracts to the independent airlines (ABX Air and A-Star). All legal and none of the Union contracts were able to prevent it. Besides all aspects that are the result of a negotiated contract can be renegotiated. (i.e. DAL, UAL, and USAirways with the 70-seater changes to their scope)

On the international front things are only slightly better. Due to the vast distances that freight has to travel, air cargo has a clear advantage in the equation of cost versus time. But, even in the international arena the torpedoes are in the water. DHL operates all its international air freight through ACMIs. Furthermore, Lufthansa and DHL are in the process to set up a company in China to operated MD11 with a chinese certificate. That does not give me the warm and fuzzy. The Chinese end-up with the funding and the logistical know-how to enter the US and European market as a low-costcarrier.

Leaving FedEx and UPS with no alternative but to reduce costs.

Additionally, Air Atlanta in Iceland and Air Bridge in Russia are expanding with 747's cheap labor ACMI capacity. And what about the threat of changing the rules on cabotage?

Thus my question, what does the future hold? The Pax carriers are flat broken on their a---- with no turn-around insight. Their great paying jobs are gone forever. Is freight the next victim of cost cutting and globalization, not to mention the threat of cabotage?

What do you think?

V1andgo said:
What do you think?

[/font]

I think you haven't done your homework my friend. International small package is not only the growth of UPS but represents the lion's share of their profit. According to UPS's former CEO James Kelly, 1 domestic origin international package produces the same profit as 40 domestic ground packages (published circa '97, "Inside UPS"). 100,000 intl (read AIR!) packages equals 4 MILLION domestic (GROUND) packages! The rest of you analogy is so faulty it'd take me days to correct. Suffice to say, the future of UPS (and its increasing profits/increasing shareholder value) is tied to its airline, not its ground.

When L.L.Bean starts e-mailing their clothing, I'll be concerned.

:)

Does anybody know how much FedEx and UPS lowered their rates for shipping after September, 2001? I think you'll find the bulk of the answer to the passenger industry's problem in the answer to that question. They'll figure it out, eventually.

Let's see... which other topics should I touch on? hmmmm....

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters will honor a strike by the Independent Pilots Association, the union representing the pilots of UPS. Don't expect brown trucks to roll when brown airplanes stop.

Scope and ACMI - - a threat, and yet not a threat. FedEx uses contracts to handle surges in capacity need, and it is allowed by contract. We would prefer they have the flexibility than deal with furloughs that would be inevitable without it. However, restrictions are in place to prevent the abuse of the tool. Are they effective? Well, let's say we'd prefer the scope restrictions be tightened.

On the other hand, are we at risk of being completely replaced by ACMI contracts? If you remember back to the days of Federal Express's infancy, the unique aspect which was marketed and accepted that set us apart from all the rest was that we owned our own airline - - we were not dependent on the schedules and belly freight space of any other airline. FedEx Express still realizes today that the reliability achieved by the use of its own pilots and its own airplanes is unmatched. When it absolutely, positively has to be there, there's only one way, and it's very purple. Fred doesn't want a Gemini, he wants a FedEx Express. I'm not saying that to belittle Gemini - - they do a great job doing what they do. I'm just stating a reality.

V1andgo - - you have a bleak "outlook" on the future that leads to your conclusion that "FedEx and UPS [are left] with no alternative but to reduce costs." So...., which management team employs you?

;)

Latest resources

Back