Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

News article quotes internet postings in "near midair" debacle....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
No one was hurt in the incident, which happened as both planes were en route to Canada. But Condor has now suspended two pilots and Thomas Cook has reported the drama to the aviation authorities.

The incident is the talk of the professional pilots' Internet chatroom PPrune ( Professional Pilots Rumour Network) where it was said the German may have come as close as 300ft to the Airbus.

One pilot notes: 'Seems Condor arranged a little mid-Pond rendezvous with his buddy.

'Popped up to take a snap and wave hello. Unfortunately, his mate was 100 miles ahead, and the actual aircraft above had to react.' He said the British pilot was ' not over-chuffed by interruption to crossword' and there was 'much squirming' over the airwaves from the Germans.

Another pilot reported overhearing a 'discussion' on the radio. 'The aircraft that was approached from underneath said that the offending aircraft was only 300ft below.

Extracted this from the PPRUNE.com thread. Anybody got details on the Northwest, UPS and American pilots mentioned?

These "retirement" flights have had more than their share of incidents over the years. A while back a Northwest 744 captain got in hot water for having a friend in a WWII bomber form up on a final revenue flight going into MSP. A retiring American Airlines captain got violated for making a pass over Spruce Creek airport in Florida with a 777 on a ferry flight. A UPS captain in Alaska thought he was Bob Hoover on his last flight and did an "arrival demonstration". The feds, understandably, were not amused.

And, a retiring Deltoid had some extra paperwork to fill out after landing:

08/23/1999 Preliminary Accident/Incident Data Record RECORD 2
A. Type: Incident Mid Air:N Missing:N Entry date: 08/23/1999
B. Reg.No.: DAL11 M/M: B777 Desc: BOEING B-777
Activity: Business Phase: Taxi GA-A/C: Air Carrier
Descr: DELTA AIRLINES ACFT WAS TAXIING TO THE RAMP AND WAS BEING SPRAYED BY A FIRE TRUCK AS IT WAS THE CAPTAIN'S LAST FLIGHT WHEN THE ACFT RIGHT WING STRUCK THE BOOM ON THE FIRE TRUCK, THE ACFT SUSTAINED MINOR DAMAGE TO THE LEADING EDGE SLAT, NO INJURIES WERE REPORTED,
ATLANTA, GA.

Hmmmm...interesting. Nothing like a buzz job on the last day at work!

FN FAL said:
Hmmmm...interesting. Nothing like a buzz job on the last day at work!

It happens all the time. What is the FAA going to do to a retiring pilot? Revoke their certificate? I don't think most retiring pilots would really care if they never flew another airplane again.

I know a retiring 121 pilot that did a low pass (and I mean really low, wingspan height) at a certain small airport with passengers onboard - this pilot's last revenue flight before retiring. Pulled up at the end of the runway and then came back around to land. The tower cheered the pilot on (it was prearranged) and so did the crowd that had formed in anticipation.

Maybe if the showers came back as standard form during last flights, other reckless activities wouldn't occur.

English said:
It happens all the time. What is the FAA going to do to a retiring pilot? Revoke their certificate? I don't think most retiring pilots would really care if they never flew another airplane again.

I know a retiring 121 pilot that did a low pass (and I mean really low, wingspan height) at a certain small airport with passengers onboard - this pilot's last revenue flight before retiring. Pulled up at the end of the runway and then came back around to land. The tower cheered the pilot on (it was prearranged) and so did the crowd that had formed in anticipation.

Maybe if the showers came back as standard form during last flights, other reckless activities wouldn't occur.
I heard that and understand...can't add more what you're saying (5th amendment) and I fully agree...let the retiring captain have the shower; it's a tradition...and it sounds like a neat one.

Jumping back to why I posted the article...the fact that the media was publishing what was said in forums. That's a new one...I'm surprised we haven't heard more of that happening. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back