Newly employed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

samoores

I have recently retired from the Air Force after a 20-year career flying mostly cargo aircraft (C-12, C-141, C-17). I have been reading this forum for almost a year now, absorbing the culture of corporate aviation and learning some of the ins and outs of the corporate world.

I did not have any good connections in corporate aviation, but through this forum, I was made aware of Aviation Personnel International (API). After making it through all of their wickets, I was accepted by Janice and Sheryl Barden to be fully enrolled in their program (at no cost to me other than flying down for an interview with them). Since they know just about everyone in corporate aviation, I used their connections to get a great job.

My new job is to be the Chief Pilot for a company on the East Coast flying a King Air 90. The flight time is roughly 230-250 hours a year (all Part 91). Average flight time is 45 minutes and there are only 1 or 2 overnights each month. Compensation and benefits are very generous and include a company-matched 401K and an annual bonus.

I wanted to thank all of you for providing me with the informational background necessary to make the transition to corporate aviation. I especially want to publicly thank Janice and Sheryl Barden for giving me this opportunity. By the way, this is the first company I interviewed with, and I never even finished writing my resume. Believe me, I consider myself very lucky!

Good luck to all of you looking for corporate jobs. If you have the experience, I would highly recommend API to help get your foot in the door.

Congrats and welcome to the corporate world!!

By the way, how many 90's can the C17 hold? ;) :D

2000Flyer

Congrats, sounds like you scored a good deal. With your retirement pay and cp salary you should be set. Nice schedule. Part 91 is the only way to go.

It always refreshing to hear of a guy who gets a good job and is happy. Go to show, if you pay well and treat people with respect, good people will find you. Congratulations, sounds like you got a great gig. :)

Talk about your wickets though. Sheesh.

Although your success will motivate me to finish the autobiography this week and find another person or two for letters of recommendation. I take the Psych. Batt. test on Thrusday. I'd actually like to see the results, usually I test smack dab in the middle of the "so normal he's actually quite boring" range but maybe marriage, kids, and the stress of a fading hairline will make me more "interesting." :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you found what you were looking for. :)

2000flyer said:
By the way, how many 90's can the C17 hold? ;) :D

2000Flyer

Combat or peacetime? :rolleyes: LOL

Congrats, Samores. You've got to start posting more. You aren't a real member unless you've been in the penalty box... :D

Allright, ALLRIGHT! I'll stop. ;) TC

The API process consists of mucho, mucho paperwork, extensive personality tests (took me over 3 hours), references, an autobiography, statement of career goals, etc, etc.

The interview is done in New Orleans or San Francisco (I went to SFO) at your expense. The rest of the process is at no charge to you as the applicant. Keep in mind that API is paid by companies to find them qualified pilot applicants. They will call you with opportunities that you are qualified for and then will market you for the position, but they are not an employment agency. You still need to interview with the company and get hired by them. Also, the whole process is invitation only. You begin the whole ordeal by going to their website at www.apiaviation.com and filling out the short application online. I f they are interested in you, they will contact you within a few weeks.

By the way, I can state without reservation that the C-17 can carry 18.39 C90Bs, regardless of combat conditions (some disassembly required).

(Was that A European or African King Air???)

I was at TCM, not CHS.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back