Newbie to Ultralights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeechScrub

I'm exploring the possibiliy of buying a used ultralight and have some questions. I want to buy a two-place so I understand it has to be registered, but what exactly does this involve. I would assume that the plane I buy would already be registered, so what hoops are left for me to jump through?

I understand an annual condition inspection is required and that the FAA allows operators to obtain a repairman's cert to do the work themselves. With an experimental homebuilt, you need to be the builder of the aircraft to qualify for this cert, is this true of ultralights as well. I'd love to build a kit, but the price of a new kit seems rediculous when compared to a 2-5 year old used plane.

I probably won't be able to obtain a hangar for the plane. I've seen a few aircraft advertised that come with covered trailers and the wings are removable. Do many ultralight owners go this route? What are some aircraft types that lend themselves easily to this type of storage?

What type of insurance do ultralight owners carry? What do the premiums generally run for a low-time ultralight pilot?

Thanks.

two seat "ultralights" are as illegal as they come. in the past, two seat ultralights were legally only flown by bfi instructors and then only for instructional use. this program no longer exist due to sport pilot coming out. be very careful with used ultralight type airplanes not all of them are registered with papers and n-numbers any you will never make the deadline to get it done. as it stands right now, all exisiting two place ultralights must be converted to experimental light sport status by jan 31st 2008 or they become lawn ornaments. if you can find a nice two seat ultraight that has been registered and n-number, you can legally fly it with a sport pilot lic or anything higher. the maintence and annual inspection can be performed by any a-p or by the you if you attend the 16 hour course and obtain the e-lsa repairmen cert. this cert has nothing to do with your specfic airplane. the airplanes you have to be careful of are the exisiting two place ultralights that are registered amateur built experimental. these aircraft can only be annualled by the orginial builder or an a-p mechanic. the builders repairmens cert is not transferrable to any new owners.

the folding wing design works, but are very labor intensive regardless of what the manufactor tells you. here is the scenario, you get off work at 5pm, drive home and hook up the trailer and go to the airport. it is now 6pm. you unload the plane and take at a very mininium 30 minutes unfolding and preflighting. it is now 6:30pm at the earliest. you takeoff and fly for exactly 30 minutes. you are now sitting behind your trailer, it is 7pm and you have to fold up the plane, tie it down, and check that nothing is going to get damgaed. it is now 7:30 pm. you drive home and put the plane back in the garage. it is now 8pm. you have just spent 3 hours to fly 30 minutes. this get very old, very fast. you will decide it is to much trouble and sell the plane with less than 20 hours flying time. my best is advice is to get a hanger or buy a cessna 150 or something that can be left outside all the time.

i have been a dealer and flying ultralights for 15 years with over 3000 hours behind rotax engines and i can tell you for a fact that trailering your plane around will not work for long.

as far as insurance, it did not exist up untill recently. falcon ins can get a policy on certain airframe and powerplant combination only if they are registered and n-number. as an ultralight, insurance does not exist at no price.

i hope this helps and saves you alot of money in the future. i have seen many friends go this route only to sell the plane at a loss and buy a motorcycle.

good luck
ngsp

I'm exploring the possibiliy of buying a used ultralight and have some questions. I want to buy a two-place so I understand it has to be registered, but what exactly does this involve. I would assume that the plane I buy would already be registered, so what hoops are left for me to jump through?

I understand an annual condition inspection is required and that the FAA allows operators to obtain a repairman's cert to do the work themselves. With an experimental homebuilt, you need to be the builder of the aircraft to qualify for this cert, is this true of ultralights as well. I'd love to build a kit, but the price of a new kit seems rediculous when compared to a 2-5 year old used plane.

I probably won't be able to obtain a hangar for the plane. I've seen a few aircraft advertised that come with covered trailers and the wings are removable. Do many ultralight owners go this route? What are some aircraft types that lend themselves easily to this type of storage?

What type of insurance do ultralight owners carry? What do the premiums generally run for a low-time ultralight pilot?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back