Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
what is a Q-service?

What njabound said.

Basically, you update on-the-fly as necessary. When you receive an envelope of updates, you just put the stack of changed charts in the Q-Service Book. Then, you check the updates page from the most recent update you've received when you go to fly to that airport. If there are any updates for that airport, it directs you where to find them, and you swap out the pages as necessary to make that airport's charts current.

The beauty of the system is that if your plane never flies to a particular airport, you never have to do the updates for it. It works great.

Depends on your Domicile preference.

Fire off a resume. Get an App in the mail. Mail that puppy into HR. Wait for a call. If after two months you don't hear anything.....politely ask (via email) Derinda if you missed an email or phone call. Wait for response.....it should take 10 minutes. Yeah she is that fast. Get interview date. Then wait anywhere from 1 week to longer for a response.

Get offer and choose your fleet/domicile (if necessary change for a better -->)/start date.

Easy as can be. But, you must send a resume to get it all started.

Or, you could do a search since I've seen more than 1, and less than 1 million, threads on this very subject.

Good Luck.

You can request a fleet? I mean, I realize that if you request the BBJ out of PBI you'll probably never get called, but they'll actually let you request a fleet out of a particular domicile? Which fleets are available to newhires? Does it depend on the domicile? Interesting news... thanks for all the great info guys!

Skyward80

You can request a fleet? I mean, I realize that if you request the BBJ out of PBI you'll probably never get called, but they'll actually let you request a fleet out of a particular domicile?

Not exactly. You request--and are invited to interview for--a particular domicile. If the job offer call comes, you may be offered a choice of class dates and/or equipment available for that domicile.

When I got my offer, for example, I was offered my choice of three different airplanes available for my domicile at that time, with several different class dates for each.

I elected to take a class date several weeks later than the others in order to get the 560XL/XLS, which has an APU. The other two aircraft offered did not, and after 7+ years in a non-APU turboprop, I sacrificed a few seniority numbers for several years of comfort!

Which fleets are available to newhires? Does it depend on the domicile?
All fleets in all domiciles. I guess they're trying to spread out the pilots for all the fleets to the various domiciles, presumably so they won't have to spend as much time airlining. That doesn't actually happen (plenty of transcon airlines to pick up an airplane), but I'm presuming that's the reason... :rolleyes:

. The other two aircraft offered did not, and after 7+ years in a non-APU turboprop,

Add "/ultra" to that sentence, and I have you beat!
Though there should be a 1.25 conversion ratio for the 1900. So maybe we are even. Who knows.
It is amazing how the other half live! :D

You had to be there.

Speaking of coffee and the 1900 I have a funny story.

It may have been me but I am pretty sure I was riding shotgun. We always had a coffee for the first flight out in the D and the safest spot for the Joe was on the floor wedged on the side. Well we start on our way (to ALB most likely) and on the climb we both look at each other and one says, "Do you smell coffee?!?" The other looks down and sees that his whole stadium sized Styrofoam coffee had poured in that air vent that is between each pilots feet. Funny chit. Not sure where the 20 oz. ended up.

Also reminds me of the time that the whole 12 oz can of Coke flys into the air hits a HDG SEL knob on the pedestal and sends coke spraying into all the electronics on the pedestal. Nothing happened! That is until the next day when I was with a different Capt. He kept having bearing pointers come on and all sorts of other problems for the whole day cursing at it the whole time. I just sat there and laughed not giving him "the rest of the story". God that place made you have a very sick sense of humor.

Latest resources

Back