Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
On a little vacation next weekend. Originally we were scheduled to take Amtrak from New York to Boston.

They upgraded us to an Acela Express high-speed train that leaves about :30 earlier and gets to Boston almost 2:00 earlier.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? I haven't ever been on "regular" Amtrak, so I really can't imagine what the difference might be other than a faster ride.

Thanks!

I took it from Philly to NYC once before...

It's pretty cool...Especially when we blew by the regular Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trains that were on the next track over...

FurloughedAgain said:
On a little vacation next weekend. Originally we were scheduled to take Amtrak from New York to Boston.

They upgraded us to an Acela Express high-speed train that leaves about :30 earlier and gets to Boston almost 2:00 earlier.

Can anyone tell me what to expect? I haven't ever been on "regular" Amtrak, so I really can't imagine what the difference might be other than a faster ride.

Thanks!

Great ride, the trains are almost always on time. They usually have 1 quiet car where no cell phones or loud talking is allowed. You'll hit the 150mph max speed in 2 places: about 10 minutes before PVD, and about 8 minutes after stopping at PVD (near Mansfield, MA).

And, yes, I am a dork, in case you're wondering.

Is there a screen in the passenger cabin which gives the speed and/or the status of the journey? (i/e how much longer to destination?)

Moving map?

How's the dining car? Is it always jammed? We were thinking of having breakfast enroute'.

When we get to Boston we have to get over to Logan, rent a car, grab some lunch and then drive for about 3 hours into New Hampshire, so its gonna be a long day.

FurloughedAgain said:
Is there a screen in the passenger cabin which gives the speed and/or the status of the journey? (i/e how much longer to destination?).

No, but if you go into the cafe car there is a conductor's office. The conductor has the same EFIS, I mean ETIS display that the engineer has. He can switch between screens that show speed, a track map, etc.

FurloughedAgain said:
How's the dining car? Is it always jammed? We were thinking of having breakfast enroute'.

Shouldn't be too bad.

Do you know, by any chance, if South Station in Boston has lockers for rent to ditch my luggage?

I want to take the wife to Faneul Hall for lunch and shopping before we head to Logan. Don't want to drag suitcases with us. I cant pass through Boston and NOT get a lobstah roll!

Latest resources

Back